Confusion WIth Bolt Bait's Alpha Mask

I am attempting to make two similar "metals" using Sarkut's Gold Metal Tutorial.

I started out with the black layer. 

Then I did the figure that I wanted to metallicize on two separate layers. The two are similar but not identical. 

I created the linear gradient on two layers, one below each of the Mask Layers.

For my Mask01, I then did Ctrl A, Crtl C, and Ctrl D. I then applied the Mask01 to my Gradient 01 layer. This works perfectly.

However, when I go to my Mask02 layer, and again do Ctrl A, Crtl C, and Ctrl D, and then attempt to apply Mask02 to Gradient02, for some reason, the Mask01 has not cleared from the clipboard, and I get Mask01 on my Gradient02. I have repeated the Ctrl A, Crtl C, and Ctrl D several times, making sure I was on the correct layer. I get the same thing each time.

I have tested my Ctrl A, Crtl C, and Ctrl D. The new mask did indeed copy to the clipboard. But for some reason, the Apply Alpha Mask is repeating, rather than using the new Alpha Mask I copied into the clipboard. I am not sure what I need to do to "clear" the first alpha mask so I can use the second.

Edited to add: I have now tried drawing a Circle, drawing a line, pencil, brush, and bucket fill to try to replace Apply Alpha Mask in the Repeat Command spot.  Apply Alpha Mask is still there. 

Edited by Marilynx

Hey @Marilynx, the process you explained (using a clipboard for mask) is from Illnab1024's plugin. Doesn't work with BoltBait's Alpha Mask plugin, but does work with BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin.

Create 2 layers:
- mask (add some shape here)
- background (color, gradient)

If you want to use BoltBait's Alpha Mask:
- select background layer

Go to Effects > Object > Apply Mask
Current layer: background
Mask layer: mask
Mask type: Alpha
Method: Replace
[unchecked] Invert Mask
OK

For BoltBait's Paste Alpha:
- same process you explained above, copy mask layer to clipboard

Go to Effects > Object > Paste Alpha
Replace current alpha with
Alpha channel from clipboard
OK

Edited by Lemonade

On 6/8/2023 at 4:14 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Which plugin are you using?  BoltBait's Apply Alpha Mask, or Illnab1024's Alpha Mask Import?

BoltBait's plugin looks like this:

image.png.b3847f56e616160a205a82ab53f6fc

Illnab1024's plugin looks like this:

58b21e705331d_image31.png.6d66316caf5b2f

I am attempting to use Boltbait's, as Illnab1024's plugin, which is called for in the Gold Metal tutorial by Sarkut is too old for current versions of PDN. 

Apparently, I do not understand how Boltbait's is supposed to work.

On 6/8/2023 at 6:39 PM, Lemonade said:

Hey @Marilynx, the process you explained (using a clipboard for mask) is from Illnab1024's plugin. Doesn't work with BoltBait's Alpha Mask plugin, but does work with BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin.

Create 2 layers:
- mask (add some shape here)
- background (color, gradient)

If you want to use BoltBait's Alpha Mask:

Go to Effects > Object > Apply Mask
Current layer: background
Mask layer: mask
Mask type: Alpha
Method: Replace
[unchecked] Invert Mask
OK

For BoltBait's Paste Alpha:
- same process you explained above, copy mask layer to clipboard

Go to Effects > Object > Paste Alpha
Replace current alpha with
Alpha channel from clipboard
OK

Let me see if I have this straight. I use  Effects > Object > Apply Mask to create the mask in the clipboard? And then I use Effects > Object > Paste Alpha to put the mask on the layer it is supposed to go on? IOW, it's not all in the same plug-in, but is a two-step process?

13 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

Let me see if I have this straight. I use  Effects > Object > Apply Mask to create the mask in the clipboard? And then I use Effects > Object > Paste Alpha to put the mask on the layer it is supposed to go on? 

Nope.

Instead of placing your mask on the clipboard, just place it on a separate layer.  You can make the layer invisible--doesn't matter.

Then, select the layer where you want to apply the mask and run Apply Mask.  It will then prompt you for the name of the layer with the mask on it.

1 hour ago, Marilynx said:

I am attempting to use Boltbait's, as Illnab1024's plugin, which is called for in the Gold Metal tutorial by Sarkut is too old for current versions of PDN. 

Apparently, I do not understand how Boltbait's is supposed to work.

If you want to use CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+D (following Gold Metal tutorial) then go with BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin. Works just like lllab1024's plugin.