Where to post about a utility/library that is related to Paint.NET?

No, the thumbnails do not work on portable versions (I like to have Paint.NET in %APPDATA%). So I wrote an extension to do it because Paint.NET's extension just didn't want to work unless "installed".

Also, I still do not know where to post this...

Edited by xchellx

57 minutes ago, xchellx said:

o, the thumbnails do not work on portable versions (I like to have Paint.NET in %APPDATA%).

Could this be of any use:  12 Ways to Fix Thumbnails Are Not Showing in Windows 10 (windowsreport.com)

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

No, sadly that does not help. This post is not of an issue of no thumbnails appearing. Thumbnails for any other type of file format work perfectly fine on my install. I know thumbnails for .pdn files will work if I "install" Paint.NET but I wish to use the portable version instead, therefore I did not install it and therefore do not have thumbnail functionality for .pdn files, hence why I made my own ShellExtension to do this instead (so I dont have to install paint.net).

And still... my original question was... which subforum do I post about such ShellExtension I made?

Edited by xchellx

From an implementation standpoint, the PaintDotNet.ShellExtension.[x64/arm64].dll should work fine if you register it correctly. I don't think it has any DLL dependencies.

What about just a script that does that with the portable installation, after copying it to some suitable location?

• Upvote 2

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

13 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

From an implementation standpoint, the PaintDotNet.ShellExtension.[x64/arm64].dll should work fine if you register it correctly. I don't think it has any DLL dependencies.

What about just a script that does that with the portable installation, after copying it to some suitable location?

How do I register it manually? regsvr32 does not like it (missing `DllRegisterServer`), and regasm requires a C# DLL.