Change default file type from png to jpg?

Go to solution Solved by Pixey,

1 hour ago, AMD_Ryzen said:

Is there any way to do this?

No there is not. From the FAQ:

Can I change the default save format to JPG?

No, jpeg is a "lossy" format. That is, every time you open a jpeg and save it, you're losing quality. This is like making a photocopy of a photocopy, etc. PNG and PDN, on the other hand, are exact formats. You can open and save them as often as you like without losing a single pixel of quality. So, paint.net defaults to PNG format for single layer images and PDN for multiple layer projects. If you want to save as jpeg, you need to choose it by hand. This ensures that you won't lose quality in your image unless you specifically choose to do so.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

18 minutes ago, null54 said:

jpeg is a "lossy" format. That is, every time you open a jpeg and save it, you're losing quality. This is like making a photocopy of a photocopy, etc.

This is plain wrong, as long as you use this 100% quality setting!!!

image.png.c4a37046a0b9c0ebfe0df3a05d929233.png

For some reason even on the contrary, my image file size increases after every new save from Paint net although I don't change any setting! my image1.jpg for example is 101KB, and image5.jpg (5th copy!) is already 110KB, what? 😂 Shouldn't it decrease in size, IF it would loose quality with each new save? 😆

Edited by AMD_Ryzen

23 minutes ago, Pixey said:

Sorry, you can't.  Please read this post for the reason why:

@null54 beat me to it by a nano second 😹

Thanks for your reply.

Wow, even BoltBait claims that there WITHOUT mentioning the 100%-quality-setting, that an image degrades over time... 😑

also @null54 here is my proof of (weirdly) increasing filesize after each save without any image-editing (everytime saved with 100% quality setting of course, as, why would one even only want to save it with default 95% quality setting? 🤨)

Untitled.jpg.c08689fbecc89da122cf5dc802c4c67a.jpg

Edited by AMD_Ryzen

Higher filesize does not mean better quality. When you save a file with lossy compression like JPEG, it introduces differences to the image - higher quality means fewer differences, but there always will be some. When you resave it, you save those differences which increase image complexity and size, and introduce more on top.

For a good visual example, for instance, an image saved 500 times with the same quality (10/12 in Photoshop terms, no idea how that translates to PDN quality slider): https://youtu.be/Fk6kV5N1rzs

4 hours ago, AMD_Ryzen said:

This is plain wrong, as long as you use this 100% quality setting!!!

Wrong. JPEG is always lossy

The file size increasing isn't actually weird. Trying to lossily compress a lossily compressed image, at 100% quality, means the codec has to work extra hard to maintain as much of the lossily encoded artifacts as it can. This results in an increase in file size.

Anyway your questions have been answered. And this is a question that's been asked many times, it's already in the FAQ, along with "do not ask this question."

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg