Crash when many pictures open

I use to have maybe over 100 pictures open (inlcuding screen shots) and then I get a crash and lose everything, it happened many times. Can I somehow get back these files, can I make a setting so that Paint.net temporarily saves files to a temp folder until I close the program and then it will erase them?

Edited by frer8833

I don't have the time to do that because I have to add the pictures very fast. After I added all the pictures I save them. I asked earlier for autosave but it was rejected by another admin. Maybe Paint. net have secret reasons for not making it easier?

Edited by frer8833

Hmmm... Could you work with smaller batches? 50 images then 50 more etc... In theory it should not add that much more time. You can save 50 in have the time of a hundred and move on to the other 50 save those at your leisure. I know what you want, but until that day comes you need to adjust your work flow.

7 hours ago, frer8833 said:

I don't have the time to do that because I have to add the pictures very fast.

Saving them is faster than losing the lot and having to recreate them. Ctrl + S is not exactly slow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, frer8833 said:

I don't have the time to do that because I have to add the pictures very fast.

Slowing down and saving as you go would save more time than having a crash that wipes out your work.

10 hours ago, frer8833 said:

Maybe Paint. net have secret reasons for not making it easier?

No ... ? There's no secret conspiracy here to make your life more difficult 😂

• Haha 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• 2 months later...

It can work if you add the feature of autoclosing the file after saving it (save all & auto close), because I add many new ones after saving a file but it takes a lot of time to close each one after saving it in order to prevent a crash caused by many new added open files

Edited by frer8833

1 hour ago, frer8833 said:

It can work if you add the feature of autoclosing the file after saving it (save all & auto close), because I add many new ones after saving a file but it takes a lot of time to close each one after saving it in order to prevent a crash caused by many open files

As Rick says, he will not add that feature.

For a start, it's too specific to just your stated needs; it's not something that other people would want.

So exactly what are your needs?

1. You've said you want to "Save All and auto close". So why don't you do a File | Save All and, immediately after, just Exit paint.net then restart it? Exiting and restarting takes just a couple of seconds.

2. But you also said "I add many new ones after saving a file but it takes a lot of time to close each one after saving it". Why is this? To save and close a file you just need to do press Ctrl+S, and then when it is saved, press Ctrl+W to close it. It's just one extra Ctrl keypress.

I can't work out why this is so difficult?

Did you maybe forget about Ctrl+W, which we discussed here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/121363-the-pop-up-windows-latest-position-is-not-remembered/?do=findComment&comment=602812

If you could explain your workflow clearly and say why you need that particular workflow with 100+ pictures open (which you also "had to add very fast"), then we might be able to come up with a way of helping you.

Edited by Tactilis
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Paintdot.net uses a lot of memory (not neccessarily more than other apps though). Every new FHD-sized file I open and paste onto an FHD screenshot the used memory goes up about 100mb of dedicated memory (virtual) or 100mb of DDR3 Ram, they take turns. When dedicated memory (around 10gb) is used up (by let's say 20 open PDN tabs) the app crashes (often other apps too; Google Chrome) and Windows overall stutters, freezes, goes black screen etc ("A new guard page for the stack can not be created paintdotnet.exe system error). Some days ago I had 256gb SSD and could have open around 110 tabs, after switching today to 1000gb ssd I can have open only around 20 tabs simultaneous with Google Chrome and I think it's because dedicated Ram seems to be for some reason extra gobbled up by PDN after I switched to 1000gb ssd (the 256gb ssd was already full so I don't think it had big Virtual memory. Edit: It has 8GB virtual ram). I have right now increased Virtual memory to 13GB to avoid the crashes (it's on the limit of being too little). I have 8 GB RAM (I ordered more RAM and will increase it to 12 or 16gb). Update: I have 12gb Ram now and PC is more snappy.

Is this normal?

Update: In conclusion I realized my PC was running out of dedicated RAM, and now it is increased to 27GB by windows (it was set to zero at first, but there was probably 8GB virtual memory there anyway).

I just asked Windows to add a 'running out of dedicated memory warning' (right before everything crashes and data is lost). For now, if someone wants to keep an eye on the live dedicated memory usage you can press ctrl+shift+esc and go to performance tab and see the memory usage there (but Task Manager window will be somewhat in the way if it's on top). This is relevant if the SSD is full. If SSD is far from full and virtual memory size is set to be controlled by Windows then the limit will auto increase.

Edited by frer8833

On 7/19/2023 at 9:09 PM, Tactilis said:

As Rick says, he will not add that feature.

For a start, it's too specific to just your stated needs; it's not something that other people would want.

So exactly what are your needs?

1. You've said you want to "Save All and auto close". So why don't you do a File | Save All and, immediately after, just Exit paint.net then restart it? Exiting and restarting takes just a couple of seconds.

2. But you also said "I add many new ones after saving a file but it takes a lot of time to close each one after saving it". Why is this? To save and close a file you just need to do press Ctrl+S, and then when it is saved, press Ctrl+W to close it. It's just one extra Ctrl keypress.

I can't work out why this is so difficult?

Did you maybe forget about Ctrl+W, which we discussed here: https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/121363-the-pop-up-windows-latest-position-is-not-remembered/?do=findComment&comment=602812

If you could explain your workflow clearly and say why you need that particular workflow with 100+ pictures open (which you also "had to add very fast"), then we might be able to come up with a way of helping you.

A Save All & Auto-close (each saved file, not auto close PDN) can quickly save let's say 40 images out of 110 and have PDN autoclose those 40 images which frees up enough memory to avoid a memory insufficiency crash so that I can immediately add another 40 images without losing time. To use ctrl+w to close each file can take too much time because adding the images is time sensitive. But I figured out that by clicking on the x (close file) in the thumbnail very quickly without moving the cursor it's possible to close them quickly.

Edited by frer8833

4 hours ago, frer8833 said:

But I figured out that by clicking on the x (close file) in the thumbnail very quickly without moving the cursor it's possible to close them quickly.

You can also just hold down Ctrl+W, the shortcut key for File -> Close

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

And in general, if you're gong to be opening tons of images, you need more RAM. You're pushing beyond the capabilities of your system. Of course you're going to have, at the very least, significant performance problems.

• Like 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg