Make a "Wave" with Paint.NET

Europe

THe ColOrS... Just kidding. I tinkered a lot and didn't exactly follow it, and here is what I got.

It looks like on of those things where you drip paint on a paper while the thingy twirls it, like the ones little kids play with...

Very nice tut!

OhWow.jpg

ahhemm... anouncing dundundundun! the greatest banner of all times....

Keitra_Engrave_Ani1.gif

sorry about the double post =\

All nice and cleaned up. :D

By the way, I like the extra relief you put in there. It gives the different color levels a feeling of depth.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

What do you need help with?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I did this tutorial a while back and I find that if you add a little fade-to-white gradient it makes for a nice backdrop on websites, desktops and things:

Here's a linear (reflected) fade out:

horizontalfadeout.gif

And here's the same image only with a radial fade out:

totalfadeout.gif

Click on Gradient :GradientTool: , then change the mode to transparency... :AlphaChannel:

Huh, I never noticed that drop-down menu before. Yeah, that works too. :)

I usually do gradients by playing with the color palette. I click "More>>" and set either my primary or secondary color to transparency 0 and the other to white, black, or whatever I want the image to fade out to. Then I apply my gradient, usually in a new, top layer.

The advantage of this is that you can also set the transparency to something that isn't 0. (e.g., If you wanted to do a subtle color wash, you could choose your transparency color and then set it to 50 or something, and then do your gradient.) As far as I know, you can't do that with the drop-down menu, that's for pure transparency fades only.

I used a little bit off that tut with hte Engine/Reactor thing..I love how it turns those ones out. You just follow those steps but invert the colors to white and set the layer with them ot overlay. It makes a background that barely shows through if you did it right...

Well, the hexagon part I mean. Make the layers with each getting bigger by 5, then once you're done iwth htat, compress them and invert the colors.

~EnM

celloSiggy.jpg