short double mouse-/system-freeze right after closing Paint.NET

Go to solution Solved by Rick Brewster,

Please check this video. 0.5-1 second after clicking the x to close the program, at ~4 seconds in to this video, the system shortly freezes two times in rapid succession (mouse-cursor lags). This occurs everytime I close the program. I don't have any plugins, have added Paint.NET to Defender AV exception. I've taken a performance trace and will send it to you momentarily.

Edited by AMD_Ryzen

• Solution

This cannot be Paint.NET's fault. If the mouse freezes momentarily then you've got an issue with some driver and something called DPC latency.

I have had some similar issues on my PC but it's usually when my mouse moves over the volume control in the task bar. Seems to happen less when using headphones. Apparently NVIDIA's GeForce drivers have some unresolved issues in this area as well, that may contribute.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

The first thing that comes to mind is the video card. I have an NVidia and I tried closing PDN twice and recorded the activity. Both times my NVidia container was reading and deleting cache files - C:\Users\disk4\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache\ [random numeric file name]

Once PDN is no longer visible and the application process has ended, the NVidia container app continues performing additional tasks. All of them were registry reads and writes.

Edited by Disk4mat
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Disk4mat said:

The first thing that comes to mind is the video card. I have an NVidia and I tried closing PDN twice and recorded the activity. Both times my NVidia container was reading and deleting cache files - C:\Users\disk4\AppData\Local\NVIDIA\DXCache\ [random numeric file name]

Once PDN is no longer visible and the application process has ended, the NVidia container app continues performing additional tasks. All of them were registry reads and writes.

Interesting. I have ShadowPlay running on my PC all the time (incl. desktop-recording, so I can save anything that ever happened on my screen, up to 20 min. later), I just disabled it for testing, but the issue is exactly the same. 😐

If you really, really, want to get to the bottom of it head over to MS and grab Process Monitor

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Something else is running on your system causing the lag. Start PDN. Start PM.... Close PDN... Click the stop capture button in PM (3rd button over, looks like a broken square). Review the captured events. search (ctrl+F) for the last pant.net.exe entry (by this point the app is closed and is done) start scrolling down the list and see what else is happening for up to 5 seconds. You'll find your culprit.

You can right click some typical processes in the list to exclude them from view. Makes it easier to review other processes.

• Thanks 1

Thanks!!! Yes I've known about Process Monitor, but never needed it so far! Awesome tool! Indeed, one thing I see is nvcontainer.exe (Nvidia) is doing an insane amount of CreateFile/-fileMapping and Registry (OpenKey/QueryValue/QueryKey) operations during the lagging moments. 😳😖 Unbelievable. BUT paint.NET is also doing over forty-thousand (40.604 to be precise) WriteFile operations (to path AppData\Local\paint.net\Optimization\Startup.0.profile) after closing... Is that supposed to happen? I'll start and close Paint.NET in Windows safe mode now to test if issue occurs regardless of nvcontainer.exe running. :)

Yeah, every now and then I have those holy **** moments lol You can create a custom profile for PDN so its optimized for performance. Open NVidia Control Panel, 3D Settings then the "Program settings" tab (easy to miss) and select paint.net.exe (or browse for it)... There you can set most things to 'application controlled' and 'performance'.

22 minutes ago, Disk4mat said:

Yeah, every now and then I have those holy **** moments lol You can create a custom profile for PDN so its optimized for performance. Open NVidia Control Panel, 3D Settings then the "Program settings" tab (easy to miss) and select paint.net.exe (or browse for it)... There you can set most things to 'application controlled' and 'performance'.

Even "OpenGL-GDI-compatibility" to "prefer performance" setting, does that even affect Paint.NET?