Problems with Paste

1. I select an area of the canvas with the "Rectangle Select" tool.

2. I execute Edit / Copy.

PROBLEM #1

When I execute Edit / Paste, the copied image is pasted on top of the area that I previously selected.

Is there a way to paste the copied image directly to a different place on the canvas?

PROBLEM #2 (THE MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM FOR ME)

After I paste the image, the cursor changes to a hand (apparently, I'm in "Scale Pixels" mode). Sometimes, I am unable to get the cursor to assume an "arrowhead" shape so I can move the pasted image to a different place on the canvas.

What's the secret to getting the "arrowhead" cursor to appear?

ANSWER #1:

Just create a new layer and move the paste somewhere else. :-)

ANSWER #2:

This needs to be in an FAQ, 'cause we've answered it several times and I'm not sure why it isn't- I'll be willing to bet money that it's a small area. :-) You need to click somewhere outside the selection - in fact, clicking ANYWHERE on the canvas will move it swimmingly. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I'll be willing to bet money that it's a small area. :-)

"Small" is such a relative term. :)

Seriously, though, although the selected area is only 11 x 15 pixels, I zoomed in 1200%, and the "arrowhead" still would not appear in the pasted image.

You need to click somewhere outside the selection - in fact, clicking ANYWHERE on the canvas will move it swimmingly. :-)

Works beautifully. Thanks. Apparently, I'm still learning the idiosyncracies of Paint.NET, but I use the program excusively now; Microsoft Paint is a relic from the past. :)

Seriously, though, although the selected area is only 11 x 15 pixels, I zoomed in 1200%, and the "arrowhead" still would not appear in the pasted image.

Uh, yeah, 11x15 is small. ;-) And yeah, zooming in doesn't help at all. Larger selections do, though.

Works beautifully. Thanks. Apparently, I'm still learning the idiosyncracies of Paint.NET, but I use the program excusively now; Microsoft Paint is a relic from the past. :)

Good idea. :-) Glad to help.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.