Gradual blur

I'm trying to blur one side of a photo to show motion. The "Effects>Blurs>Motion Blurs" does not seem to do what I want. It blurs the whole rectangular selection, but I want a gradual blur from the right side of the rectangular selection box to the left. My image is of a caboose at the end of a train. I want the trailing end of the caboose to gradually blur as if it was moving down the tracks. Is it possible to do a "gradual blur"?

Thanks - David

Rutland Caboose.jpg

4 hours ago, Pixey said:

Select half of your image with the Rectangle select, then use motion Blur

But that is what @DWC121 is already doing.

They said:

The "Effects>Blurs>Motion Blurs" does not seem to do what I want. It blurs the whole rectangular selection, but I want a gradual blur from the right side of the rectangular selection box to the left.

They are seeking a means of having the strength of the blur (i.e. the Distance) change progressively from a chosen value at one side of the selection down to zero at the other side.

I lasso selected the entire train tried experimenting with Zoom Blur by setting the centre at one end of the train and the distance to a small value. It gives an result closer to what the OP is seeking (i.e. a progressive change of blur) but it's not very convincing.

Edited by Tactilis
Added details about Zoom Blur

I've done this before: 

1. Cut out the train and place the cut out on a layer above the original photo.

2. Blur (or edit in any way you like) the train on the top layer 

3. On the top layer, use the Gradient Tool in Transparency Mode to gradually change the amount of the original showing through. Like the technique demonstrated on the Fading / Blending: Gradient tool on a Camaro picture tutorial.  

• Upvote 2

Xkds4Lh.png

You may be interested in Tilt Shifting "Tilt-Shift is a directional gradient blur tool".

The Tilt Shifting tutorial:

...and now that you have the theory, the Plugin:

Example from the plugin post: TiltShift.png?raw=1

• Thanks 1

So sorry @DWC121 I read your original post too fast, as I was dashing out the door :) 

I tried this just now.

1.  Duplicate your image.

2.  Roughly cut out your train on one layer with the Lasso Select.  (I tried removing the background online, but it disappeared the cabin at the top :( )

3.  On the cu-out train, use Motion Blur.

4.  On the same layer you blurred, select the train and use the Gradient Tool on transparent.  Right click mouse to one side that you want less blurred, and drag the nubs.

steps-for-train.png

• Upvote 2

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.