Cannot attach files to forum post larger than 2.45kB

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

When making new post or reply to an existing one on the forum, I am now unable to attach any file larger than 2.45kB

The attachment area at the bottom of the screen says:

Drag files here to attach, or choose files...

Accepted file types: gif, jpg, jpeg, png, txt, log, pdf, zip, webp, dll, cs, avif

Max total size: 2.45 kB

If I try to attach a 3kB image I get an error message saying: 1 file would exceed the total allowed size of 2.448kB, and was skipped

Has something changed on the forum to reduce the attachment size limit for everyone? Or is there an issue with my account?

I've tried logging in using a different browser to rule out cookies in my usual browser.

Edited by Tactilis

You may need to delete old attachments to free up space, the forum limits the total attachment size for each user.

Images should normally be hosted on an external site.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• Solution
2 hours ago, null54 said:

the forum limits the total attachment size for each user.

Ah, thanks, found it.  'My Attachments' under the username dropdown at the top right.  I had been going direct to my Profile.

"You have used 10 MB of your 10 MB attachment limit."

You may need to delete old attachments to free up space

That will lose all the images in the posts, won't it? The vast majority of the images I have pasted have been (intended to be) informative as part of answering questions for others.

Are you saying that these now have to be downloaded, rehosted elsewhere, and then the paint.net forum posts edited to reference the now externally-hosted images? That's a lot of work compared to just pasting cropped screenshots directly into forum posts.

Where is recommended for external storage that provides a quick workflow for uploading and then incorporating into a paint.net post please?

There's nothing in the Forum Rules https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/2932-read-first-the-rules-yes-you-read-this-2013-12-21/ about a total attachment storage limit and #29 just says: "Don't post huge images. Not everyone has an internet connection as fast as yours or a monitor as large, so don't make their pages take 10 minutes to load and don't make them scroll sideways. Keep images no larger than 800 pixels tall or wide. You're welcome to post clickable thumbnails and links to a larger version."

I'm happy to abide by the 'rules' and will deal with my attachments (starting with the largest) but it would have been helpful to have had some clearer guidance in the Forum Rules (and such guidance will be useful to others in the future).

Edited by Tactilis

8 hours ago, Tactilis said:

That's a lot of work compared to just pasting cropped screenshots directly into forum posts.

The forum bandwidth costs (Rick). Please do get in the habit of hosting images elsewhere and posting links here.

I've had a look into your attachments. You posted one named selection.gif that is 2.7mb...

This one is (recolor.gif) is 783kb.....

If you want to know more please PM me.

6 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

The forum bandwidth costs (Rick). Please do get in the habit of hosting images elsewhere and posting links here.

Will do - now that I know the limit and the reason it.

Maybe updating #29 in the Forum Rules would help to guide people:

29) Don't post huge images. Not everyone has an internet connection as fast as yours or a monitor as large, so don't make their pages take 10 minutes to load and don't make them scroll sideways. Keep images no larger than 800 pixels tall or wide. You're welcome to post clickable thumbnails and links to a larger version. Bandwidth incurs costs for the forum owner, plus there is a limit to the total attachments size across all your posts, so you are strongly encouraged to host images elsewhere and post links here."

I've had a look into your attachments. You posted one named selection.gif that is 2.7mb... and this one is (recolor.gif) is 783kb...

Yes, they were intended to be helpful "a (moving) picture paints a thousand words" posts. I'll rehost them.

The Mods & Admins are discussing this. I've added your suggestion into the mix.

• Upvote 1