Looking for a reapeat selection tool

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

ive figured out a few ways to repeat textures,

copy the selection to another image increase the image size so you dont murder the resoloution then ctrl+shift+z it and pray you get the zoom level right for when you copy it back into the other image

manualy copying the texture and placing it next to itself which is time intensive and highly error prone

but both are bad enough that everytime i use them it makes my day worse for how poorly optimized the process is

so im looking for a tool that lets you repeat the selected area in the same way you would stretch a selection, select area click and drag side, idealy holding shift would snap between each reapeat of the selection, example image below (made by manualy repeating a texture making a white layer above then cutting a hole in the white layer and stretching the hole)

adding image attempt the 3rd Example.png

Edited by psychotopia
adding image

• Solution

If you have my plugin pack installed https://forums.getpaint.net/BoltBaitPluginPack

Look in Effects > Fill > From _____  (where ___ is File or Clipboard depending on where your image is located.)

It will fill your selection with an image and it has options for repeating the texture to fill up the selection.

• Thanks 1

@BoltBait btw now that plugins can render outside the selection, it's possible to have a plugin that tiles the selected area. Not sure how you'd deal with non-rectangular selections though.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I think what you're trying to do is make an 'array' with a copy/paste selection. As far as I know you can't do that natively. 

With paint.net you have to find creative ways to do things, and with your process I would say it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. 

Copy the whole selection in a new layre above. You can then manipulate the layre until you're ready to press it down into the layre below it. 

You can also make a new layre with the one texture, change the hue to white, and then use the magic select tool to have the same outline youre looking for. then  you can take that selection outline and move it between layre by clicking them. 

There are also tools on here to make 'tiles' that you can move around. I would suggest looking at BoltBait's linke, using the Plug In Browser, or finding "Mirror" in the plug ins. 

11 minutes ago, CircleBox said:

I think what you're trying to do is make an 'array' with a copy/paste selection. As far as I know you can't do that natively. 

With paint.net you have to find creative ways to do things, and with your process I would say it sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. 

Copy the whole selection in a new layre above. You can then manipulate the layre until you're ready to press it down into the layre below it. 

You can also make a new layre with the one texture, change the hue to white, and then use the magic select tool to have the same outline youre looking for. then  you can take that selection outline and move it between layre by clicking them. 

That's a lot of work compared to using BoltBait's Fill From File or Fill From Clipboard plugins.

Panelling Plugin should also get a mention....possibly my unreleased Echo plugin might be helpful.

On 3/31/2023 at 6:20 PM, BoltBait said:

If you have my plugin pack installed https://forums.getpaint.net/BoltBaitPluginPack

Look in Effects > Fill > From _____  (where ___ is File or Clipboard depending on where your image is located.)

It will fill your selection with an image and it has options for repeating the texture to fill up the selection.

Fill from file worked a treat thanks is there any chance you could add a pixel overlap option tiling portion i find myself needing to overlap the image by one layer of pixels on the top and bottom in current work and likely the same but horizontally for future work, can live without but would be helpfull
example of what i mean manual i overlapped the top and bottom fiddling with what ive got in the clipboard will also solve the issue but it would be a nice option to have
overlap_would_help.png

On 3/31/2023 at 11:48 PM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Panelling Plugin should also get a mention....possibly my unreleased Echo plugin might be helpful.

i wasnt quite able to get my head round how to use the echo plugin unfortunately all the settings just made my seethrough layer with a square in the middle comepletly see throught. panelling worked but wasnt faster than doing it manualy, i imagine if i was using high resoloution selections it would have been more usefull

11 minutes ago, psychotopia said:

is there any chance you could add a pixel overlap option tiling portion i find myself needing to overlap the image by one layer of pixels on the top and bottom in current work and likely the same but horizontally for future work

Why is this needed?

Can you not simply adjust your image, reducing it by the appropriate number of rows of pixels, so that it is correctly tileable with no overlap required?

On 4/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, Tactilis said:

Why is this needed?

Can you not simply adjust your image, reducing it by the appropriate number of rows of pixels, so that it is correctly tileable with no overlap required?

as per my previous message it is not needed but neither is a repeat selection /fill from plugin it is however nice to have and usefull it would also mean if you were filling from file that you wouldnt have to edit the source file