File MODE and DPI count CHANGED by Paint.net

Go to solution Solved by Pixey,

I am a seasoned user of Paint.net - and I use it every day, all day long, and have done so for going on 20 years.

I work as an artist, creating content for coloring books, thus many of my images are black and white sketches.

HOWEVER, for the purpose of creating manuscript for my publisher, my images are always created as RGB mode and 300 dpi pixel count, 8.5" x 11" page size, and saved as .png files.

Lately, when I edit my work for any reason in Paint.net, and simply SAVE the file at the completion of my work it is CONVERTED to Index file mode, often with strange (to me) pixel counts of 37.56 or 118.47 or 762.87 and humongous image dimensions.

Is there a way to STOP this from happening? 

Right now, I must close and save the Paint.net work, then re-open my files in Photoshop, check the file MODE, and change it BACK to RGB (yes, even though the image is a simple black & white sketch, I NEED RGB for my publisher) and very often I must again resize to my 8.5" x 11" page size at 300 dpi, from a HUGE file saved by Paint.net at 37.56 dpi, or 762.87 dpi, or whatever, re-flatten the image, and SAVE again in Photoshop as a .png file before I can go on with my work.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

MaxMuhlin

Ann K.

In the saving dialog box, change the image type from "Auto-detect" to 32-bit.

image.png

If that doesn't work, please post an image (family friendly, sample only) that you don't like and one that you do.  One of our filetype experts will examine them and give you some help.

It would be best to zip those images up before attaching so the forum doesn't mess with the formatting.

Thanks, BoltBait . . . and how do I bring up that "saving dialog box" . . . on my HP desktop computer screen? 

PS . . . I am an 81 year old lady just tryin' to get along in this wild world.  Thanks, again. . .

Edited by MaxMuhlin

Hello @MaxMuhlin :) 

File > Save As - in the drop down choose "Save as type: pick JPEG or Png - then you are asked to Save,
When you click on Save you will see this window where you can choose 32 bit.

32-bit-Save-As.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

It sounds like something you're doing is mixing up inches and centimeters.

300 dots per centimeter is equal to 762 dots per inch.

96 dots per inch is equal to 37.8 dots per centimeter.

Notice how these are all numbers (approximately) that you've listed in your post above!

So either you're accidentally changing between inches and centimeters, or your publisher is doing something wrong with the image metadata.

image.png

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Ok, thanks to Rick Brewster for pointing out the inches / centimeters information.  THAT is probably because of the little box at the lower right of my Paint.net screen which allows me to choose which type of measurement I want.  OK, that is an easy fix, I'll just have to check that to make sure it hasn't altered, somehow.   Now if I can just STOP the saving in INDEX file mode, I will be happy.

I am using the latest edition of Paint.net, too, but I sure don't have the response screens coming up on my computer that you folks are showing as what comes up when one clicks a command!

Thanks to Pixey for the visual of what I SHOULD GET WHEN I CLICK SAVE AS . . . but . . . when I click SAVE AS on an image.  (Hi, Pixey, I actually live in Palm City! )

The screen that comes up for me when I click SAVE AS - (screenshot below)  shows MY folder array within MY computer's File Explorer system, where I can click on and choose the folder in which I wish to save that image.  Along the bottom of that screen is where I choose what file type I wish to save the image as.

I can't even minimize that file array screen which comes up when I click  "Save As" It fills my 24" monitor side to side.  If there were another screen with all of those choices in the background on the Paint.net platform I wouldn't even see it.  However I have NEVER had Paint.net present me with screens like you are showing me in your screenshots with any choices for saving my work in all the years that I've worked with Paint.net.  The File Array on MY OWN computer's File Explorer area is all that has ever been presented to me.

Thank you ALL for your kind offers to help me.  I truly appreciate your thoughts and efforts on my behalf.  As I stated, I've been working with computers since 1964, first in the programming department of TIME, Inc. and in the years since, as a desktop tool at my various jobs and finally when they were available, at home.  I am willing to go into the WORKS and change codes if that is what I need to do, I simply need someone to tell me what to put into which box to GET THERE.  I have actually opened the Tower and repaired my own physical computers (serendipitously) Ha!  by myself.  So I am not timid, just clueless as these "operating systems" evolve.

Ann Kallal / MaxMuhlin

Untitled.jpg

Edited by MaxMuhlin

The "Save Configuration" dialog comes up after the "Save As" dialog. First you choose the location, file name, and type, and then you configure the saving options.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

4 hours ago, MaxMuhlin said:

. but . . . when I click SAVE AS on an image. 

I was talking about when you are actually IN paint.net and are wanting to change the image type from "Auto-detect" to 32-bit, like @BoltBait suggested in his post.

You have to do this first, before you get to the 'configuration box' where you can then choose your image to be 32-bit.

Before-you-get-to-configuration.png

30b8T8B.gif

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi, and again, Thanks!!

I AM in Paint.net.  Right now I have two Untitled screenshots on my screen IN PAINT.NET and when I click on FILE - SAVE AS - the screen that pops up and fills my entire 24" monitor is MY OWN FILE TREE, which offers me the folders from which to choose where I want to save that file, as well as the box across the bottom of the screen with the file types for me to choose from. . .

In 20 years of using Paint.net, I have NEVER seen the screens that both of you are posting. 

This is amazing to me, because I really do sit here 10 to 12 hours a day, and Paint.net has been my graphics program of choice ever since the good ole Aldus PhotoStyler stopped working on the ever increasing sophistication of my operating systems in probably 2008 or so.  Every day, day in and day out, although I use Photoshop for things like resizing images without loss, and correcting light and shadow ratios, and creating PDF files . . . truly Paint.net has always been my graphics program of choice in which to actually CREATE my images (I draw with a stylus on a WACOM and have since the early 2000s) BECAUSE PAINT.net WORKS PERFECTLY FOR ME, that is it did, until Windows 11, and until I purchased a Microsoft Surface PRO7 tablet to work on in the evenings.  May I also note that I transfer files between the Surface PRO and my Hewlett Packard Desktop via a thumb drive. 

My files became "resistant" to vectorizing in my VectorMagic program, and then I noticed they looked "stark" when I opened them in Photoshop  and I discovered the "stark" looking files which did not properly vectorize were somehow SAVED AS INDEX FILE MODE, and others were the "strange dpi" configuration which has been totally explained as being cm as opposed to inch choice on the bottom right of my Paint.net screen . . . and which no longer bothers me because I can FIX that. . .

But, please . . . what are you doing to generate the screens you are showing me?  If I could simply get those screens to OPEN on my computer my problems would be solved, as then I could choose the settings you are suggesting!!!

Thanks, Ann K. / MaxMuhlin

• Solution
2 minutes ago, MaxMuhlin said:

But, please . . . what are you doing to generate the screens you are showing me?

I hope this video will be of help.  It's a bit laggy to begin, as I only just downloaded the new version of paint.net to v 5.0.3

30b8T8B.gif

PIXEY !!!!

Ok, so I tried watching the Video and there was NO SOUND so I REALLY had to pay attention to what was going on on the screen.

. . .suddenly the BOX was THERE with the ability to choose the 32 bit format for SAVING.

So I went to my own copy of Paint.net. . .chose one of my open files, clicked Save As . . .etc., and YES !!!!  There it all was.

Now, I am "elderly" but could it be possible that the Box always came up and I totally did not SEE it because I was so sure of what I was doing (or because I'm old?) that I just went through the motions? 

Whatever it was, THANK YOU !

I am a changed woman.

Humbled.

and ever grateful.

Ann K. / MaxMuhlin

Wheeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

And a heartfelt Thank you, to Rick Brewster, as well, of course!  And to BoltBait early on, too! 

Edited by MaxMuhlin
  • Like 1