Edit | Copy and Edit | Copy Merged are erroneously greyed out when there is no selection

Tactilis
Go to solution Solved by Rick Brewster,

When a selection exists, then the menu items Edit | Copy and Edit | Copy Merged are active as expected:

Copy-Merged.png

When there is no selection Edit | Copy and Edit | Copy Merged are greyed out:

Copy-Merged-grayed-out.png

These items should not be greyed out as it is, quite rightly, still possible to perform their functions using the shortcuts Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Shift+C.

Because they are greyed out it is not possible to invoke them using Alt+EC and Alt+EM.

@Rick Brewster Would it be possible to correct this for 5.0.3 please?

Additionally, the Edit Menu page of the Documentation needs a couple of updates to accurately reflect the operation of the commands:

Copy-Merged-Doc-updates.png

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

• Solution

Oh funny, how did I not notice this :) I completely forgot that Ctrl+C / Ctrl+Shift+C works even when there's no selection. I'll take a look.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I didn't know it was possible to copy without first selecting all - well spotted @Tactilis

I had asked for the ability to copy the active layer, without first using 'select all', a long time ago (via the drop down icon) but did not know it was accessible via keyboard shortcuts. I hope this will become available but I'll try to remember the keyboard shortcuts till then.

• Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

41 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

I didn't know it was possible to copy without first selecting all - well spotted @Tactilis

...I'll try to remember the keyboard shortcuts

@Tactilis <- Keyboard warrior me!

Using Alt+ menu keys and application shortcut keys is so much faster than making mouse movements to select menu items and tool commands.

1 hour ago, Tactilis said:

Keyboard warrior me!

Ha, that's funny.

@Tactilis <- Idiot!

...having just found out that keyboard warrior means "a person who makes abusive or aggressive posts on the internet, typically one who conceals their true identity."

Hopefully my posts are neither abusive nor aggressive  😇

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

Hopefully my posts are neither abusive nor aggressive  😇

You come across as polite and knowledgeable to me.

1 hour ago, Tactilis said:

shortcut keys is so much faster than making mouse movements

I respectfully disagree.

When I'm using Visual studio, VScode, Notepad++, Word, Execl etc... I use the keyboard as much as possible and navigate with the arrow keys.
(My first computer was the Commodore 64, before the mouse had been invented!). However, when using Pdn, I much prefer using the mouse.
I find it very awkward having to swap from mouse to keyboard and back again, so always favour the menu drop-down icons...
Perhaps it's a right brain vs. left brain thing?... or perhaps I don't like having to put my glass of whisky down to type!🤪

Ideally I'd like right-click context options for copy, paste, duplicate layer etc. too, but I can see the complications that would cause.🙄

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

when using Pdn, I much prefer using the mouse.
I find it very awkward having to swap from mouse to keyboard and back again, so always favour the menu drop-down icons

Understood.

Maybe for me the keyboard is preferred because I'm always on a laptop, so swapping from trackpad to keyboard and back again involves very little movement.

11 minutes ago, Red ochre said:

or perhaps I don't like having to put my glass of whisky down to type!🤪

Good point.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

GL, I did not know that either!  I'm a mouse clicker like @Red ochre.  I know very few keyboard shortcuts.

It's just much faster for me. Sometimes I go so fast that something wonky happens...🤪

Thank you @Tactilis for pointing that out.  😊

• Upvote 2

Regarding this...

On 3/18/2023 at 10:42 PM, Tactilis said:

Additionally, the Edit Menu page of the Documentation needs a couple of updates to accurately reflect the operation of the commands:

Copy-Merged-Doc-updates.png

Is there an appropriate place to report documentation issues like the above please?  I'm slowly working my way through the documentation and noting any areas where I see minor omissions.

How do documentation issues get fixed?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Is there an appropriate place to report documentation issues like the above please?

I maintain the Docs. Please send me a PM with your recommendations and a link to the page.

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I maintain the Docs. Please send me a PM with your recommendations and a link to the page.

Thanks EER. I will do so when I have worked my way right through.