Community Guide: Smudging

TopHATslash

Communty Guide:

Smudging!

This thread will offer anyone and everyone to post their ways of using the Smudge plugin. If you have a trick you want to unleash to the community on your way to smudge something, then post so here. This is made for mini tutorials. Also, be sure to state what your method is best used for. Be sure to include screens!

I'll start..

------

TopHATslash

For render-sigs

- Use the Clone Stamp tool [Size: 30]to brush the edge of your render onto a new layer. -

crysistut1fz4.png

-Gaussian Blur [12 px]-

crysistut2bc4.png

-Now smudge. Smudge it to give it a flow. Since in this case, this Crysis render doesn't have a flow.. we will give a flow of wind rushing onto him. So a brush off and up type stroke.

Note: I usually just will stick to the default brushes that you start off with. Spray, Hard, Soft, etc.

crysistut3yb2.jpg

Done! Hope you liked it.

-------

So now post your way, and get it onto this list!

This is the way I smudge for backgrounds:

I make a few lines with the paintbrush, and then I use this 50*50 brush to smudge -- made with the paintbrush tool (brush size one):

smudgies.png

Okay now start smudging all in one direction, with a strength of 50-70, don't smudge too far though:

smudging.png

Now smudge lightly by repeatedly clicking in the opposite direction, 5-7 pixels at a time.

smudging-1.png

That's all there is to it!

• 1 month later...

First, I draw a few lines (I used black and red since it would be easy to see.

2prs0uw.png

Then I use smudge..obviously to smudge it. xD

2198bcn.png

Average blur (plugin)

ibkzu8.png

Give it a quick jitter.

1o3g9f.png

Add a new layer and run clouds. Then set the opacity to that layer 169 and the blend mode Additive.

28ku1j4.png

Give it a motion blur.

2zef89i.png

Now I smudge it again to my liking.

34rc584.png

Now I add the final touches. I soften it abit, and maybe edit the brightness and contrast.

So I turned this: 6pm7on.png into this: km7ok.png

I know that was long but thats my own way of smudging. :D

With a bit of patience, a few effects, and super micro 8 size brush smudge-smoothing, it can turn a rough picture into a smooth and light-toneish picture. EDIT: I used a soft brush XD

EDIT 2: It's gonna have to be a 8 to 11 sized soft brush with the strength of 1% to 6% to give it a nice edge smoothening

BEFORE:

bloodelfwarlock.png

AFTER:

bloodelfwarlock-1.png

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f134/Code_Ember/daredevil_v3.png

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

That looks great, Code Ember. I believe that's WoW, I play it. :P

Thanks! :D

Code_Ember passed away on October 25, 2008. The Paint.NET forum staff and members wish his family and friends only the best in this difficult time.

With a bit of patience, a few effects, and super micro 8 size brush smudge-smoothing, it can turn a rough picture into a smooth and light-toneish picture. EDIT: I used a soft brush XD

EDIT 2: It's gonna have to be a 8 to 11 sized soft brush with the strength of 1% to 6% to give it a nice edge smoothening

On those kind of images you can select around the edges using the :LassoTool: and once you select around the edges you can use a gaussian blur set two and it gives the same effect...

18458_1b226fb794cb4ce80e99049a5944bfa6

Note: Please keep ALL posts to comment on mini-tutorials, or to post your own. Please keep all off-topic'ness to another place.

Please try to respect topic opener's wishes.

Thanks.

Ash, thanks for informing them. Now I look at it, they need to comment each others work. I mean, it is a community guide. ;) I trashed that rule.

Feel free to comment everybody.

On those kind of images you can select around the edges using the :LassoTool: and once you select around the edges you can use a gaussian blur set two and it gives the same effect...

That is also good but the smudge 'n smooth trick will actually give somewhat harder and smooth edges and also saves a ton of time.

• 1 month later...

Communty Guide:

Smudging!

This thread will offer anyone and everyone to post their ways of using the Smudge plugin. If you have a trick you want to unleash to the community on your way to smudge something, then post so here. This is made for mini tutorials. Also, be sure to state what your method is best used for. Be sure to include screens!

I'll start..

------

TopHATslash

For render-sigs

- Use the Clone Stamp tool [Size: 30]to brush the edge of your render onto a new layer. -

crysistut1fz4.png

-Gaussian Blur [12 px]-

crysistut2bc4.png

-Now smudge. Smudge it to give it a flow. Since in this case, this Crysis render doesn't have a flow.. we will give a flow of wind rushing onto him. So a brush off and up type stroke.

Note: I usually just will stick to the default brushes that you start off with. Spray, Hard, Soft, etc.

crysistut3yb2.jpg

Done! Hope you liked it.

-------

So now post your way, and get it onto this list!

Something I'm not getting. How do you "brush the edge of your render onto a new layer. -" ??

• 4 weeks later...

My smudge technique!

Untitled.png

start with a brush size of 70.

Untitled2.png

Smudge, with soft brush (size 40)

Untitled3.png

Smudge again, this time with hard brush, all strokes in the same direction.

4.png

There you have it! they normally are neater, but this was a quick job explaining how i do my smudging.

You should get the Win7 theme for XP. Then get the rest of Win7. Then uninstall XP. Then it'll really look nice. ~ David Atwell

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's my way of smudging. (Adding pictures soon)

1. Find your picture, i chose one wich i wanted to use for a wallpaper.

Step1.jpg

2. Add a new layer.

3. Put random blobs and lines on the new layer (Splatter tool is great for that)

Step2.jpg

4. Smudge the blobs and line untill they look pretty transparent.

Step3-Real.jpg

5. Accept the changes and play around with curves.

Step3.jpg

That's my new way of using it to add dirt to a lens or if you are careful, blood on walls or floors.

• 1 year later...

Here's a simple way to make grass using Smudge (screenshots coming soon):

Step 1:

Open a new canvas, any size.

Step 2:

Add new layer.

Step 3:

Select an area with rectangle select tool.

Step 4:

Fill it with a shade of green (or brown and green brush strokes for dryish grass)

Step 5:

Add Noise with any Intensity and Coverage but 0 Color Saturation.

Step 6:

Deselect, and smudge to your liking. Make sure you have some variety in your angles and that you don't smudge at exactly 90 degrees.

Remember, pics coming soon!

If you are making grass next to something, smudge the edges too and place it on a layer above the object the grass is next to. This will make it appear that it is surrounding the object.