White text, how to turn white to another color?

Hello,

I wrote a lot of text (one layer with only wihte text) and now, because it can't be selected, how can I turn white color to any other color.

The issue: While writing, the anti atialising feature is ofcourse turned on, so I just can't select eveything and fill it with bucket.

Any ideas?
Can I somehow put filled layer above it, and do something with blend mode?
Or I select all white, then klick on the layer above and fill it with color then before merging both layers I do some bled effects of the layer above?

Thank you.

Have you tried using the hue/saturation method? You can find it under the “adjustments” menu. From there, you can change the color, saturation, and brightness of an object/layer.

Try cranking the brightness all the way down. That way, the text will appear black.

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

Assuming (as you seem to say it is) that the text in on a transparent background, the easiest method is to use Red ochre's Object2colour plugin.

The Hue/Saturation trick is even trickier for white text, since you must first add some color before it works. It can be done without plugins by first using Brightness/Contrast (or the Lightness adjustment in Hue/Saturation) to make the text gray, then running the Sepia adjustment to color it, followed by Hue/Saturation (perhaps twice to get full saturation). But why go to so much trouble when a plugin can do it in one easy step?

I'll mention one other method: create a new layer, fill it with color, then use BoltBait's Paste Alpha plugin to transfer the text's alpha into the new layer. Why use such a roundabout approach? you may ask. The reason is, you can fill the new layer with more than just a solid color. For instance, you could have a gradient instead, or something even fancier.

If you made the mistake of not using a transparent background, but the background is black, you can use one of the color-to-transparent plugins, such as my Color Clearer, to convert the background to transparent. That will also work with any fully-saturated-color background. However, if all you want to do is change white-on-black to color-on-black, just fill a new layer with color, put it under the text layer, and set the text layer's blend mode to Multiply. Then merge the layer down.

EDIT: I forgot to mention you can use BoltBait's new Apply Mask plugin in place of Paste Alpha to make the transfer-text-alpha method even easier.

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

Solid background? Magic wand the background then invert with Ctrl + I. Press Backspace to fill with the Primary color.

Not when you Feather it afterwards.....

1 hour ago, MJW said:

Why do it the wrong way, then try to patch it up, when the right way is about as easy?

1 hour ago, MJW said:

the easiest method is to use Red ochre's Object2colour plugin.

Object2colour maintains the original alpha. I know I will appear biased but it IS the correct option for objects! 😇

The magic wand is a fantastic tool but pixels are either selected or not...admittedly I don't fully understand 'anti-aliased selections' ?.

256 levels of 'selectedness' seems like overkill when there is an alpha channel?

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

39 minutes ago, Gusop said:

I really hope one day paintNET will allow to edit text

See https://forums.getpaint.net/topic/2940-popular-feature-requests/

> Ability to re-edit text, or "text layers", or some variation thereof -- This an enormous work item due to other plumbing that must be in place to enable it. This falls into the "yes I agree, and hopefully we'll have it someday." No solid ETA, but planned for a 5.0 or 5.x release. This is getting closer to reality, so hang in there.