Popping out of a picture.

spongey437

>_< very new here. (to paint.NET and the forums.) and im having problems. :shock: shocker, i know.

when you say, "Select the black box and then select the second picture layer. Invert the selection and hit delete so all that remains is the picture that is in the shape of the box. "

how the heck do I do that? (i know how to invert [ctrl+i] and how to delete [that's a give-in]) how do i select the black box and the second picture layer. i have the black box on a different layer then my BG pic.

help me please? :oops:

Hi Everyone

I am new here and I know this is an older tutorial but please help.

I get to step 4 I think, after I invert my selection it wont delete and leave the box with the picture.

Another question...."feather"?? Where can I find that option. Ive looked everywhere.

Thanks so much. I cant wait to use this.

Hi Everyone

I am new here and I know this is an older tutorial but please help.

I get to step 4 I think, after I invert my selection it wont delete and leave the box with the picture.

Another question...."feather"?? Where can I find that option. Ive looked everywhere.

Thanks so much. I cant wait to use this.

step 4: u should have 3 layers now. 2 with the picture and another with the black box.

Go to the layer with the black box and select the black box.

Now switch to one of the layer(should be the second one) with your picture. Press Ctrl + I

Press Delete

Done

As for feather : http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22819&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=feather

Thank you so much.

I did figure out step 4. It took some time but I got it!!!

Once I got the plug in for feather, what do I do with the zipped file to get it into my paint.net??

Heres my attempt on the popping out of a pic. This is from my wedding last weekend.19884_f6e79a9ed32a2adf66c4e9a562fec10b

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to do the picture popping out and picture in picture and they both ask for a "select the black box." how do i select the black box and then invert what i have selected? any pointers would be great!

I was trying to do the picture popping out and picture in picture and they both ask for a "select the black box." how do i select the black box and then invert what i have selected? any pointers would be great!

Go to the Window Menu and open your layer's windown. You should see a layer with just the black box drawn on it. Use your Magic Wand Tool :MagicWandTool: on that layer to select the black box. Now, on your layer window, select the bottom layer with your full picture. Hit [Ctrl + I] to invert your selection, (or choose the Invert Selection option from the Edit Menu) and then hit delete. This should get you where you need to be.

dolphinsig-1.png

Love this tutorial. I'm not very good with the lasso tool, and I'm still trying to figure out a lot of the features, so this probably took me way longer than necessary, but it was a lot of fun. Great job.

PopoutDragon.jpg

dolphinsig-1.png

Oh Thanks appreciate that as I am new to this... just realised the frame had drop shadow so looks like it needs feathering, I altered the original brief slightly and added the white "photo" frame after... as that way I can get a clean straight edge using line/curve tool with the width adjusted to make it look like a realistic white photo frame. Works OK when edge is straight forward but needs some filling in etc when cut through section is more complex.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from a noob!

Been lurking on here trying out a couple things here and there! Had to give this a go when I saw it! Really like the effect! Just need to work on my lassoing skills! lol!

I played around with the background a bit. What do you guys think?

CSINYgirder.jpg

@cherryvamp:

Very cool I love this picture. It is absolutely perfect for this kind of effect. Parts of the pic are a bit :AntiAliasingOff: , but other than that, it looks really good.

dolphinsig-1.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi. I am new to these forums, and also PDN.

I tried this effect. Here is what I got:

out_of_picture.png

I know there is a reflection in his eye. Sorry, but I didn't bother fixing it that time.

thinking_with_portals.png

I used only 2 pictures, both shot by me, of my dog.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to first say that I have just started using paint.net and so far I've been able to do the tutorials.

Except I am having difficulties with one of the steps for "Popping out of a picture".

The instructions are: "Move this layer above the black box layer. Then select the black box layer and use the magic wand to select the box. You can then use the "move selection" tool to elongate the box so that it creates a white frame around the picture."

I do that but no white frame is forming. I just have the basic program for now. Since I noticed I cannot do dents. so I was wondering if I may have missed something? Or, there is more that I need to upload to do this.

Thank you.

I would like to first say that I have just started using paint.net and so far I've been able to do the tutorials.

Except I am having difficulties with one of the steps for "Popping out of a picture".

The instructions are: "Move this layer above the black box layer. Then select the black box layer and use the magic wand to select the box. You can then use the "move selection" tool to elongate the box so that it creates a white frame around the picture."

I do that but no white frame is forming. I just have the basic program for now. Since I noticed I cannot do dents. so I was wondering if I may have missed something? Or, there is more that I need to upload to do this.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

We here is my attempt....oh and the weird looking parts are weirdly enough how the tree actually grows (the "frame" was white so you wont see it)

24239_9498b5d5098a4526181a7d8d25c13db9

• 1 month later...

Huh. I have trouble. You should give better attitude.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.