Popping out of a picture.

spongey437

Hi Briddo,

Did you receive help yet? I too, had a problem with the box, and spent a lot of time with this tut, but I love it. I learned a lot with this tut, it's my fav. And I am new to photo manipulation and graphics as well, but I have discovered I love it. Here's my end result:

3x3eagleliberty.png

Let me know if you still need help... I'll do what I can :)

lylcoup3.png

Hi Folks, I have been trying this tutorial and really need some help. I am a complete novice at photo manipulation and a bit of an idiot. I can only get as far as step 2, I don't understand how to create the black box or how to proceed any further. You folks are probably having a good laugh but is there anybody who could give me an idiots guide on how to do this tutorial. I need detailed button by button guidance. Is there anybody out there who has the patience to help?

Hope you can help

Briddo the idiot :cry:

WatRuLknAt?

Hi lylcoup,

Your photo is fab. I still can't do this. I have been fiddling about for a week now and just don't get it. I would be grateful if you could help

Regards

Briddo.

my problem is the selection of the black box, then select the 2nd picture, which I believe is the duplicate layer, then invert the selection is where I get stumped. I see invert colors under adjustments, so i click on this and then press delete and nothing happens. I gues I need to know where invert selection tool is. Again, would appreciate some help, thanks,

Mrmagoo144

Cant see very well you know

thanks for the reply, i open the picture that i want, i duplicate the picture, i add new layer, i create the box, i rotate the box to give a 3d look, i select the box, i select layer 2, when i go to edit invert selection is not open to choose. If i click select all then invert selection is enabled.i click on invert selection and click on delete and nothing happens. am i missing something. i know i will get this sooner or later. again thanks for the response.

Mrmagoo144

I am having the same problem. I think its because i haven't selected the layers, how do you select them? I have them both ticked, but still the invert option is not open.

Also i have a normal rectangle box as didn't know how to make that other shape, can anyone help me out with it?

as for the rectangle- here is what i did and it looks fine.

make your rectangle

fill in with black color

go to layers

use the rotate/zoom feature

practice, practice, practice.

I still need the help with the invert selection tool

Mrmagoo144

Okay folks I'm getting there, but can't manage to outline the image very well with the lasso tool, and get the white frame round the main part of the shot. Any hints. I tried to do an "easy" shape ( a building) but the edges were all over the place, how you folks manage complicated shots leaves me bewildered and very jealous.

Cheers

Briddo

Okay folks I'm getting there, but can't manage to outline the image very well with the lasso tool, and get the white frame round the main part of the shot. Any hints. I tried to do an "easy" shape ( a building) but the edges were all over the place, how you folks manage complicated shots leaves me bewildered and very jealous.

Cheers

Briddo

Try this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841

Basically, you use the cut-out technique to isolate the subject of your picture from it's background by putting it on its own layer. Then, use other layers to build your picture frame.

BTW, here is one that I did:

CarPop.jpg

wow, awsome job Boltbait. I love how it turns from b&w into color

clever man :)

JustMe2170Xx1271.jpg

lylcoup3.png

WatRuLknAt?

im a little more than confused now. what does cutting out a picture have to do with popping out of a picture.

mrmagoo144

The tut says:

"Then use the lasso tool to select the parts that are out of the picture, making sure that you are going all the way to the picture so that none of the white line shows."

Towards the end of the tut it says to "cut out the parts of your pic that you want out of the frame" , to do this you must select those parts, and follow the rest of the tut to create this effect. I used the line/curve tool because the lasso tool is harder to be precise with. The tut: "cutting out images..." shows you how to do this.

lylcoup3.png

WatRuLknAt?

Cheers

Briddo

Hi Briddo,

Did you manage the box shape yet? I used the line/curve tool, instead of the rotate/zoom tool(in the layers tab), because I found it easier than trying to guess the amount to use with rotate/zoom. With the line/curve tool you can manipulate the rectangle much easier. Also, don't forget to use the feather effect (in the effects tab) in every layer to smooth the jagged edges, good luck! I'll be looking for your pic :)

lylcoup3.png

WatRuLknAt?

• 2 weeks later...

I found a way to get the box better.

1. When you make the black box first off just make a normal black box. :RectangleTool:

2. Layer>Rotate/Zoom :RotateZoom:

3. This is where it gets tricky if your.

If your object...-----Twist angle

Goes to Left------- 180.00

Goes to Right------ 0.00

Goes Up----------- 90.00

In the case with the iguana the iguana goes to left so twist angle will go to the 180.00.

Here is my try:

100_2461.gif

I love your "popping picture". I want to learn how to do this but I have some obstacle to overcome such as I am very, very ,very new to this whole photo editing process. Is there any learning tool that you may suggest that would walk me through image editing step by step? I have no real knowledge of even the term you mentioned to create your effects. Any help would be so very much appreciated. Thank.

tomoli

What specific problem are you having?

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

CarPop.jpg

BTW, you used Stitch or Jitter or something to make the transition?

edit: oops, missed a couple of pages...

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing this great tutorial.

Real fun.

I prefer to creat the black square like this:

- draw a filled black rectangle with the rectangle tool.

- draw a frame arround it as discribed in the tutorial

Twist and rotate the square like:

- [layers] - [Rotate/Zoom...]

- use the 'wireball' in the upper left corner to twist and rotate the square in the disered postion

(no bothering with figures etc.)

See my first try below.11306_b41e373eee0c1c5cbde4e01e9f44cb8f

Thought I had the hang of it but it does not look like that! may be I used a wrong image (gif character) and should do next try with a real picture. Also please why don't you smart guys think of us noobs when doing tutorials and try to be as much clear as you can? Yes? Please :wink:

Thanks

gattocheescedallafoto.gif

OK it still sucks but now I got the hang of it, when it comes to the black rectangle I have to remind when rotating/zooming to leave the whole inside-the-frame image in it, and talking of things that suck that lasso tool was studied for the hands of a surgeon :D I shall have to get a look to the tut how to cut images out of background and shall give an other try but this tool intrigues me, I will hold on and keep trying :wink:

gattoetopo.jpg