Sign in to follow this  
Hannah Prower

Making Backgrounds of Images Transparent

Hi everyone...thanks to your great help here I can now make a sticker of my avatar but it looks a bit blurry and I can't figure out how to make it look clearer and also the avatar has a cut look all around it,how do i get rid of that?...thank you everyone for your help :)

9695_93b4045cafa23d09f8e2d56b50125019

This is simply a how-to on the magic wand.

So - who said that a tutorial for for mega brains?

Tutorials are are at all levels -so chill.

Good way to make a avatar image for oneself -specially newbs.

Good work chap 8)

UPDATE: I thought, why have I not been arsed to make one of my own?

So I used your technique to give me a sharp poke to get active and turned my self-portrait into a small avatar.

To get it to the teeny size required:

IMAGE - resize and bung in 120 pixels (its roughly oblong), and save it as a gif because

it allows transparency and its useful elsewhere, Yahoo fr'instance

Go to Profiles -avatar and upload it.

Bingo :mrgreen:

I am so happy that I found this site. Brand spankin' new to paint.net and the whole graphics software scene in general. Was excited to see Hannah's tut since I've been going crazy trying to figure this out. However, still having trouble. The steps seemed simple enough and I saved my image, but when I tried to paste the image onto a banner image, it is still showed a white box background. The .png that I created is just some words I want to use for a logo and I want to paste onto a banner image for a website. I went back to the original .png and changed the background to a dark color just for kicks, then followed the tut instructions again and it still left me with a white background. I've gone through all the thread for relevant info, but seem to be stuck. One post did suggest "deleting" the background. Is this instead of "cutting"and how do I do this? I'm not seeing "delete" anywhere as an option. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

One post did suggest "deleting" the background. Is this instead of "cutting"and how do I do this? I'm not seeing "delete" anywhere as an option. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum, I am no means an expert, but "deleting" the background should be simple enough. In the area that you have highlighted for deletion, press either the backspace key to change the color of the background or the delete key to completely remove the background, causing a checkerboard pattern behind your text. Let me know if this helps :)

Also, if you post your project and result on this thread, someone may better guide you on what you may want to do to fix your issue.

Thanks! I tried this and I am still getting the white background when I paste onto another image. Any other ideas?

Paste to new layer :idea:

Alright. I really think you should post what you are doing. You can take screenshots of each step of the project you are doing. For instance, the picture you are adding text to, and show what happens when you add text. However, I think you can start your project with clicking on file>open, and pick the image you want. Then, you click on the "add new layer" tab on the layers box. Add the image you created on this new layer, and there will be no white background to remove, unless you didn't remove it around your created image. Then click on Image>Flatten, and it will save it as one layer. Make sure to give it another name so you can use the original image again. If I missed the mark on what you were trying to accomplish, let me know. :D

Hello all,

Okay, I've gone through 6 pages of how to get my background transparent and I still can't get it to work. I used Hanna's instructions as well as the last post. What am I doing wrong?? I am opening the image I want to work on, then selecting the Magic Wand and choosing 25% for the transparency, click on the background then click cut and the checkered board comes up. I then save as a gif and a png file and I'm still getting the white box when I try to apply to the header in my webpage.... please help :cry:

Well, if you're using Internet Explorer 6, you won't see the transparency correctly. Download Firefox.

Other than that, it should work. :-)

wow, didn't realize that ie 6 was that much trouble. Been using ie 7 since sp2 came out. Would've never have figured that out.

-never let a guy with a sonic screwdriver near the dj table- dr.who

Hi everyone...thanks to your great help here I can now make a sticker of my avatar but it looks a bit blurry and I can't figure out how to make it look clearer and also the avatar has a cut look all around it,how do i get rid of that?...thank you everyone for your help :)

Open the image in Paint.net > Effects > Sharpen...

It should work. As for the edges, they look find to me.

This tutorial sort of covers what I am trying to do. Yes, total newb here and yes, I did read and search but could still use a hand. I have a paper copy that I can scan into a PDF, JPG or TIFF. The problem is, the original is faded and our scanner won't let me darken it much at all. Here's what I have.

RulesforSafeHandlingoriginal.jpg

All I want to do is make the text/drawing darker so it doesn't look faded. I did accomplish this with the tutorial but it seems to be pretty involved. Is there some simple thing I am missing that PDN will do for me on this? Changing brightness and contrast either messed with the background or caused the red to turn black.

Thanks,

Greg

Before:

2ed74ok.png

After:

4i3c9k9.gif

Well, on here, you can't see a difference in the pics. Maybe you should've posted a pic of when you had Paint.NET open. Then we could've saw the difference.

Good tut, anyway. :)

There's an easier way.

1. Choose the color black (or any other color).

2. Make it fully transparent.

3. Select the fill in tool. :PaintBucketTool:

4. Now change "normal blending" :NormalBlending: to "overwrite". :OverwriteBlending:

5. Fill in all the background with transparent.

Done! :D

You can also do the same with the paint brush/line tool.

There's an easier way.

1. Choose the color black (or any other color).

2. Make it fully transparent.

3. Select the fill in tool. :PaintBucketTool:

4. Now change "normal blending" :NormalBlending: to "overwrite". :OverwriteBlending:

5. Fill in all the background with transparent.

Done! :D

You can also do the same with the paint brush/line tool.

Wow! That was simple as ApplePie! :lol: That is a great way to get rid of the background, and I wonder why no one else with more posts didn't mention it. I'll use this method now if the magic wand doesn't do the trick. Thanks!