Myrddin

How to Use Images in Your Posts, Signatures, and Avatars

Recently , I've posted some pics that were larger than allowed. After messing around with the controls in the post window,I've figured how to change the size of the pics. Other members have been helpful with their suggestions,and,I appreciate the help. It's like trying to find the starter button in a car when you only know how to ride a horse. When you get past that obstacle ,you've got the next one to jump over.

Hello. :)
I wanted to add to this thread on "How to insert images" with some more step by step pictures of using Paint.NET's Forum post/reply editor.
I will be using photobucket as my image host. You can learn how to upload content onto photobucket from their own FAQ page : http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us/categories/200047619-Upload-and-Download
However, almost any Photo and Image Hosting website should work, as long as they offer the right links/codes.

To Add A picture
1. After your image is uploaded to an image hosting site, click on the image.
2. Look for the correct code or link to copy. In photobucket the codes/links are to the right of your screen.
In this case, I will be using the "Direct Link".
CopyPhotoBucket435_zps73e9ce67.jpg

3. Go to your Paint.NET Post/Reply Editor, and Click "More Reply Options"
ForumEditorAdvanced_zpsc00d67e1.jpg

4. Once in the Advanced Editor, find the icon that looks like a little photo, and click it.
InsertImageIcon_zps2cdf58e8.jpg

5. Paste your Direct Link into the URL box.
PasteImageCodeIntoInsertImage500_zpsb77d

6. Under the editor, click the "Preview Post" button. Check to see if things show up and work the way they should.
(this image has been resized and squished, please excuse any distortions.)
ClickPreviewPost729_zps3448ba22.jpg

7. If you like what you see, you can now "Post".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Add Thumbnails

I use the Special BBCode button.
1. Copy your image's Direct Link from your Image Hosting website.
2. Go to Paint.NET's reply/post advanced editor. Find the Special BBCode's icon in the upper left corner of the editor, which is in between the Eraser and Font.
Click it.
SpecialBBCodeClickIcon_zpsac9e47b6.jpg

3.  From the drop down list, find and choose Thumbnail.
DropDownListThumbnail_zpsdbea16eb.jpg

4. Paste Your Direct Link into it's content box.
PasteTheDirectLink_zps9bdff12a.jpg

5. For thumbnails, you will need to Preview Post to have the thumbnail show up.

Note : As an alternative, you can also paste direct links into the editor itself, select/highlight the link, and then choose your thumbnail BBCode.

I hope this helps anyone who needs it, good luck and have fun posting pictures. :)

Edited by Cc4FuzzyHuggles
  • Upvote 6

I'm trying to use google drive as image host but when I click 'Post New Topic' button it says ''You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.". What am I doing wrong?

First I put thumbnail image with image button and then linked the actual image to thumbnail image. Is it because google drive thumbnail images does not have extension?

Edited by yut951121

Are you saving it as a *.pdn? That format is an internal one for paint.net files. Most applications & servers won't recognize it. Try using the PNG format.

Edit the first post in your Gallery thread.  Use the Full Editor.  The date must be manually appended to the thread title by typing it into the text box.

Edit the first post in your Gallery thread.  Use the Full Editor.  The date must be manually appended to the thread title by typing it into the text box.

Just as EER has said. Edit your post > use full editor > manually add the date to the "Topic Title".  :)

Many many thank you both.  :beer:  :pizza:

fixed it for you

Xn5Vev.jpg

here's the correct bbcode:

[url=http://imageshack.com/FOXn5Vevj][img=http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/xa90/540/Xn5Vev.jpg][/url]
You had some misplaced brackets and a missing img tag is all

Hello everyone. :)

I have been looking for websites that I can host my images on, and I have found some. These websites might be what I've been looking for, and may be websites you might like too. I've shared them below.

I personally have been looking for websites that....
-- Do not remove or delete images after a certain amount of time.
When images are removed or deleted, then any images that have been shared will become broken. The tutorial graveyard is full of such examples, as there are many old tutorials with broken images.

-- I want websites that let me upload my images in full size.
Most image hosting websites have a size limit and will automatically re-size your images or do some kind of compression. This is fine in some cases, as smaller images are best for the web, and super big images will cause drastic lag for some people's PCs, which is bad for the people who view your pictures. However, I still like having the option to choose to let people view my images in their full original sizes.
(I know of DA but don't like the community.)

-- Image Thumbnails with direct image linking, not photo album linking or website linking.
When you post a thumbnail of your image, people will click on it to be taken to the image in a larger size. It's great when you click on a thumbnail and you are taken to just the image, but some hosting websites will instead have the thumbnails link to photo albums that have a bunch of ads, clutter, or junk, and such things can cause the viewers of your images to lag. I am on the lookout for hosting websites with thumbnails that link to the proper image, and not an album or cluttered website. And now, I might have found some hosting websites that aren't too bad.

Here are some image hosting websites that let you upload images, get links, and share.

For these websites, I strongly recommend you register/sign up, so that way you can return to your images, manage your images, and delete images. Uploading without logging in may lead to future regrets.

http://postimage.org/
This website is very simple, basic, and easy to use.
The website claims that images won't be removed for inactivity.
If you use a thumbnail, the thumbnail links to the actual picture and not a gallery, nor bloated webpage full of junk.
I was able to upload one of my images that's 2500x1811, and successfully view it with those dimensions. (Click image to view it, click image again for full size.)
Unexpectedly, the website has a drag and drop feature. Simply drag your photos onto the upload page, your photo's titles will appear in the "browse" box.
For a quick and easy upload, this website has been nice.

http://share.pho.to/
I have not used this website very much yet.
However, the website says they will never delete your images.
The website has an option to let you view the "original size" of your images. I was able to upload my image that's 2500x1811, and successfully view it with those dimensions.
I have not yet tested how thumbnail links function for this image hosting website.

http://cubeupload.com/faq
Like the other website, I haven't used this website very much yet.
This website says they don't remove images, even when they get old.
You can upload images up to 5MB in size. I was able to upload my 2500x1811 image, and the image kept those original dimensions.
I have not yet tested how thumbnail links function for this image hosting website.

To share an image from any of these websites, you will want to get to the version of your image that you want to share. Depending on the website, you can get to the original version by either clicking on the image several times, or finding the correct  "click here" icons, or by right clicking and choosing "View Image", if the option is available.

Once you are viewing the version of your image that you want, look for your image's codes, or click up in the URL box and select all and copy. That should be the image's "Direct Link". With the direct link, you can then follow what I posted in post  #152 to share your image on the paint.net forums. :)

• Upvote 1

I find Imgur reliable and easy to use.

Useful alternatives CC4.

(Images hosted on Photobucket take ages to load, for me in the UK, so I sometimes lose patience  :( ).

Imgur was guilty for deleting images that were not viewed after a certain amount of time. It seems that's changed though! How cool! Imgur also used to compress images, which I guess did effect an image's quality or something? But, perhaps that has changed as well?

I've re-visited their Help/FAQ...
How long do they keep images? https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/201476457-How-long-do-you-keep-the-images-
File sizes & big images? https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/201476437-What-is-the-maximum-file-size-for-uploads-

Does Imgur compress images? https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/201424706-How-does-Imgur-compress-my-images-

I think the first page, the Opening Post of this thread, could stand to be updated on it's hosting recommendations. Perhaps some of these discussion posts could also be linked to the first post, since not all new players read through an entire topic to find updated answers and suggestions.

I tried to insert images hosted at Imgur but the "Insert other media > Insert image from URL" does not work. I paste the URL in the pop-up window but nothing happens. 

The "Add imgur thumbnail link" however works just fine.

Forum software can be a bit flaky. I can't paste links at all when using my tablet (Firefox). If the imgur button works, then use that.

The imgur button works fine, but that's only for thumbnails.

Win 10 on PC and Firefox is my case that didn't work for the image proper. I'll remember to try IE next time and see what happens.