Color and Black and White - The Pleasantville Effect

TheTh0mas

My crappy first ever attempts @ PDN:

nosehangBW1png.png

DVflipbigBW1png.png

(I figured this would be a simple enough tute to start with. One kind of worked...the other...well, it turned a bit rubbish lol)

Hmm. I have a lot to learn :mrgreen:

I used this effect on a picture and played around a bit. These are some things I got. I think they look pretty cool, but i'm still very very new at PDN.

lost.jpg

lostinthesmokeclouds.jpg

lostinthesmoke.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hii,, can anyone help me??

Ive followed all rules but only the thing im trying to keep colourful is going black and white!! :x

Where am I going wrong? :? :!: :?: :!: :?:

Andd how can I choose which layer I want to edit, because I dont know that.

Oh yeah, I kinda deleted the layer toolbar thing by accident, how do I get that back?? LOL :roll::lol:

Hii,, can anyone help me??

Ive followed all rules but only the thing im trying to keep colourful is going black and white!! :x

Andd how can I choose which layer I want to edit, because I dont know that.

Oh yeah, I kinda deleted the layer toolbar thing by accident, how do I get that back??

My guess is that you didn't do step 5 or 6, or both.

In those steps it tells you to magic wand select the areas you want to remain colored, and then to copy those selections into a new layer. Then to deselect your selections.

In your layers window is where you see the different layers you have created. You can create new layers, delete layers, duplicate layers, or move layers up or down.

And to reset your layers window to it's original position, click on the 'windows' tab in Paint.NET and you'll see the windows you can hide or show. In this case, you need to press F7.

A brief refresher would be to read about layers in the help section by pressing F1 while in Paint.NET.

By being less of a noob and actually READING THE FAQ!!! Nobody ever reads it! AGH!!!
This is the second time you've been harsh to a new user, calm down.

You will also notice, RyuinfinityPDN, that the FAQs would not have answered any of Katiiey's questions.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tut .

But i cant do it i hate the magic wand every picture i use it wont select what i wont it just does the background aswell and i put it on %20 and it still happens ....

A bit more tweaking with magic wand/tolerances etc....and the results are improving, slowly. I'm picking some fairly complicated subjects for starters, i know :mrgreen:

Still have some trouble with a few stubborn areas where the b&w still shows through, and I don't know how to fix it. As you can well see...lol: :oops:

bs180barrierBWpleasantvilleefeckt1.png

kickfliptofakieFludeBWpleasantville.png

nosegrindbowlBWpleasantvilleefeckt.png

This is mine. My magic wand was being annoying, no matter how I set the tolerance it wouldn't select the right things, so in the end I just gave up and used the lasso tool. I think it turned out well. The first thing that I've made and posted on here, in fear of being slated for being a "noob"

28kouv6.jpg

newsigisamazing.png

After struggling so many days with the glass text tut, I found this one especially relaxing! :D Okay, also this one has its little traps, especially when you don't have so much experience with what the Magic Wand does and why and how... but.. all of a sudden it dawned on me that there are different ways as to how I want the MW to operate (maybe this is a useful hint for those who asked a related question on the page(s) before and didn't get a really proper answer or might not have found it). It's NOT done with only playing around with the tolerance, but as well it's important which way you choose the MW to operate. The "mode"... As in my pic (simple as it seems on the first glance!) there are so many various shades of red my MW also only selected just some parts, and by pressing ctrl while clicking on other parts, I got more and more "ants" running around im my colored area. That's not what you wish for, though! In the case of my flower I wish for only ONE line around the contour of the red petal to operate as the selection. So I invested about 30-40 minutes of getting there .. how? By changing the selection mode to "add" and then clicking patiently into the inner areas where I had kind of "seperate" selections going. From my first try I was aware that these "inner selections" would exclude the color from staying colored, so I patiently clicked on all the various shades of the lighter and darker red, the orange, the yellow.. and the "ants" got less and less... until in the end, I really ended up with that ONE selection around the whole petal.

It requires some patience though... but in the end it's worthwhile.

Adding the curves effect, I didn't do too much to the picture, but in adding glow I changed to these settings: radius =4; brightness = -35 (minus); contrast = 40.

Now I like my pic! :mrgreen:

vj34m.jpg

There is an easier way.

1. Click the Lasso Select tool

2. Hold and hover the cursor around the area you want to make black and white

3. Adjustments and click Black and White.

There you go!

Thanks Majeh, I'll try that right now and see how far I get with this method. I am just beginning to understand how to use the MW. 2 years ago, when I first got introduced to graphics (generally speaking) and did a systematical course in P'shop for beginners, I used the MW only very rarely, as the cropping was mostly done using the lasso tool. So here that's kind of my first encounter with the MW. :)

I'll let you know how it went (by editing this post later). ;)

Edit1: As my stock picture was a jpg, the whole pic turned b/w when I did what you suggested! :wink:

Edit2: But what I found to also be possible is: after the selection of the colored object is complete, you can stay on the same layer and just invert the selection (ctrl + I) and then click on the correction -> choose b/w. This way the whole pic turns b/w with the exception of the object you want to remain colored. In case you don't have any special plans for your colored object which ask for a new layer, this would be faster. ;)

There is a much easier way Kat, if you have difficult images that are difficult to select with the magic wand.

Just use this tut to cut-it out: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841

Alpha mask it, here's a link if you don't know how: [link]

Then just Adjustments > Black & White or Ctrl + Shift + G on the background.

Its longer though.

☆★☆★Merry Christmas★☆★☆

.::.My Gallery.::.Make Gold Text!.::.

There is a much easier way Kat, if you have difficult images that are difficult to select with the magic wand.

1)

Just use this tut to cut-it out: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4841

2)

Alpha mask it, here's a link if you don't know how: [link]

Then just Adjustments > Black & White or Ctrl + Shift + G on the background.

Its longer though.

Thanks LFC4EVER .... as to your point 1) ...oh dear I was struggling very long to get the outline of the object right. I wouldn't have made it to date if not BoltBait had jumped in with some good advice! (Thanks to you BB!) :)

...and as to pt 2) ... I just clicked on the link and will see if I'll be able to do it that way. (Just bookmarked this page now!) :D

For me, it's all about learning how to handle the program properly (yes, I love learning in itself!), less with the aim of doing some own artistic work (I'm just an arts appreciator, not an artist), but more so in order to be able to teach my class / workshop kids the basics. They are only between 9 and 10, and just started out to learn how to use a computer properly but are terribly looking forward to our new workshop (the last one was about MS Word, also just some basics ... but I guess they will have SO much more fun doing pictures!) ;)... so what I'm doing here, is just for my own leisure and pleasure and also in order to acquire enough security in using PDN.

I appreciate so much how helpful all of you are!!! ;)

Here's my go at it!

The original :

pic1.jpg

The Pleasantville Effect:

TeCorkanpPool-Copy11.jpg

I also made the black and white part unfocused.

theSIMBUL29.jpg

~A closed mind is a good thing to lose~