Plugin that splits objects on transparent PNG into individual layers

MarijaM

Hi,

I am looking is there a plugin for PaintNET that is capable of splitting an PNG image with lots of smaller icons in to individual layers so they can be exported as individual PNGs?

Something similar to this https://photoshopscripts.wordpress.com/2012/12/09/split-to-layers 

And if not, is it possible to achieve this in the PaintNet?

Thank you.
image.thumb.png.f060b8616ecfa3ee8cc15a380b3de566.png

3 minutes ago, MarijaM said:

I am looking is there a plugin for PaintNET that is capable of splitting an PNG image with lots of smaller icons in to individual layers so they can be exported as individual PNGs?

It is not possible for a plugin to do this. Plugins cannot create layers.

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

4 minutes ago, null54 said:

It is not possible for a plugin to do this. Plugins cannot create layers.

Thank you.

This one got my hopes up 

I was thinking the same logic could be used to have all the objects after magic wand selection is inverted from transparent could be saved as individual layers and exported.

1 hour ago, midora said:

You may use 'ZIP Archive' FileType Plugin to create tiles from the image and save them in a zip file. You can unzip and import them via Layer/Import From File

I checked the post for that plugin but I must admit I have no clue what it is doing.
I have 1000 of images that have to be split in to individual files per element, and elements are in different quantity and distribution on the image. 

If you have to handle 1000 images then paint.net is not the right tool to do it. The picture you posted can be tiled during save to individual images using the ZIP Archive FileType Plugin.

midoras signature.gif

This task seem more appropriate to do it outside of Paint.NET. I know of the G'MIC method though, and this is one thing G'MIC can handle doing with ease.

If you want cropped layers of different objects and then exporting, this is one way of doing it - `autocrop_components , output icons.png`

It's that simple here.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2023 at 8:09 PM, midora said:

If you have to handle 1000 images then paint.net is not the right tool to do it. The picture you posted can be tiled during save to individual images using the ZIP Archive FileType Plugin.

On 1/28/2023 at 10:40 PM, Reptillian said:

This task seem more appropriate to do it outside of Paint.NET. I know of the G'MIC method though, and this is one thing G'MIC can handle doing with ease.

If you want cropped layers of different objects and then exporting, this is one way of doing it - `autocrop_components , output icons.png`

It's that simple here.

Hello all. Thank you for your input  and sorry for late reply.

I fell into the AI hole and I am lost now :D I asked ChatGPT to make me a Python code and create GUI that will split the png files in to individual objects and it worked. 

I now have script to split PNG layers. Not sure is it safe here to share the link, but I think googleing Split PNG Elements As Individual Layers will get you there if you need it.

Loving the chatgpt :D