Sign in to follow this  
Wither

Interactive Beginner's Guide (Updated: Jan. 22, 2008)

Wither,

I'm an IT teacher in England and would really like to put your tutorial on our school intranet. I'll also provide a link to it, but sometimes we block Internet access and I would want it to still be available.

I won't put anything up without your say so though, so please reply.

Also, I've only had a quick look but I think the fill tool could be explained a little more thoroughly, yes it works like the Magic Wand, but I think the slower amongst us may not realise what a fill tool does in general. Also, there were text cropping issues, otherwise great acheivement.

If anyone knows of any similar interactive tutorials, or normal tutorials suitable for 11-19 year olds I'd really appreciate a link :)

Wither,

make sure that when i click the print tool it is actually gradient .

thats because print is exactly the same place as gradient .

can you fix it ,

G'dday

Bugter

shmmeee - I'd be happy to let you use it offline. :)

Bugster - What do you mean? When you click the Print button it goes to the Gradient Tool? From my end, the print tool doesn't have any buttons over it on any frames.

---

I just added a better description of the Paint Bucket tool. ... That's about it for this update to it. :P

when you hover over the print tool you see at one point an hand , when you click it its the gradient tool .

Page 1

page1gc1.png

Page 2

page2fz1.png

page 3

i melted page 1 and page 2 so you can see the location

page3lp1.png

Oh my god, this thread is sticky!

I've always wanted to say that :D

Very nice! I like how when you hover over a link it gives you info on it!

Major update!

I completely redid the entire thing! It's much more complete now!

New screenshots - I redid every screenshot to fit on the smallest screen size possible.

"Random" button - Don't know what to do next? Click the red X in the top corner to go to a random hint.*

Layer Blend Modes

More descriptive - I explain more tools than I did before.

---

With all these updates, the filesize is up to 14MB (it used to be 8 ).

If anyone preferred the original version of this tutorial, you can find a link to it in the deviation comments.

*There's a known bug with my script that causes it to select frames from the very beginning (the preloader (where there appears to be nothing)). If that happens to you, just right click and select Play or just click where the red X would be.

---

Thanks for all the comments and all the support guys! Good luck and have fun!!

...Can I have my cookie now?

I just wanted to add my thanks (a lot of them!) here Wither, besides it must have cost you a lot of work to help us hopeless noobs :wink: and thanks to you I've finally understood what clone stamp is for (to add holes in swiss cheese? :lol: )

Thanks, topezia! It's comments like those that make programming all those buttons worth it. :D

I just figured I'd let everyone know that I figured out/fixed that bug in my random script that allowed it to select frames outside of the ones I had intended it to. Anyone who views the tutorial now will notice that the random button will no longer take them to the very beginning or totally empty black screens. :)

Nice! This helped me quite a bit Wither!

Glad to hear it!!

I noticed today that, contrary to my earlier belief, there is no way to download this tutorial. Why would you want to? ... I don't know, you tell me!

But after finding out that it doesn't, I've added a zipped version to my scraps to allow downloading and offline usage of this guide. :D The link is in the Author Comments in the main guide itself if you need/want it.

...Funny, the helper tool I made is almost 10 times bigger than the program it's about! haha

Most of this information is available in the Help file... but how many new people have we seen actually read that? :wink:

I personally never read the help file when I started with PDN! :wink:

Keep up the good work, Wither!! :D

Wow - A fantastic tutorial Wither, thank you. I noticed that one item is not working in the left-hand side tools options box, the icon shaped like a glove. Or is it just me? Perhaps it's not supposed to do anything? Sorry - I'm a newbie, so do forgive me if this is a silly question.

Thanks.

:roll:

Wow - A fantastic tutorial Wither, thank you. I noticed that one item is not working in the left-hand side tools options box, the icon shaped like a glove. Or is it just me? Perhaps it's not supposed to do anything? Sorry - I'm a newbie, so do forgive me if this is a silly question.

Thanks.

:roll:

It doesn't do anything of importance. If you really want to find out, zoom in on your picture 1600% and click on the "glove" tool. Then just click and drag on the picture. That's it.

Many thanks for that, ncfan51. I appreciate the explanation and will not worry too much about that particular little "glove". I now only have to 'master' the rest of the little icons, so marvellously explained in Wither's remarkable tutorial, the likes of which make a novice like myself feel very humble.

Thanks so much.

:mrgreen:

I am sorry to bother you Wither, but are you thinking perhaps to update your guide may be adding some more details about the new selection modes (replace,add,subtract,invert (xor) that came with magic wand and about the flood mode (global or contiguous) that comes both with magic wand and paint bucket? Yes I did search in the help file but it does not say much and being the <...> I am I did some tries but I did not understand a dry fig (italian idiomatic sentence) of how it works!

Thanks and ciao