eraser tool (and others) size adjustment using only mouse scroll wheel on image, as opposed to manually selecting cursor size in tool bar menu

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 11 and re-installed paint.net. 

I've noticed a small issue that is a minor annoyance, but really disrupts workflow.

On the Windows 8.1 machine I was using previously, if I wanted to adjust the cursor size (Brush Width tool) when (for example) erasing background around an image I wanted to isolate; I would just click the cursor size (Brush Width tool) window in the tool bar menu once, and then I could manually scale the cursor size up or down using the mouse scroll wheel while navigating around the image. Only when I clicked the mouse would the (Brush Width tool) size be set. This made it really useful because I could drag the cursor to the area I wanted to erase and then move the scroll wheel accordingly until the cursor was the exact right size to erase what was needed. This was perfect for fitting into tight spaces.

Since the Windows 11 upgrade, I can only adjust the cursor size (Brush Width tool) when my mouse is hovering over the Brush Width Tool window in the tool bar. As soon as I move the cursor to the image, the size I previously selected is locked in until I make another manual adjustment in the tool bar menu. This means I have to go back and forth a few times until I find the right size for the cursor. It's quite disruptive and adds about two or three extra steps to what used to be a very simple task.

I've searched all through the interface settings and can't seem to find any option to address this. It's strange because I re-installed Paint.net from the same version I downloaded from the windows 8.1 machine, but for some reason the change takes place in the background and I can't figure out why.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Heretic.

25 minutes ago, Heretic said:

I re-installed Paint.net from the same version I downloaded from the windows 8.1 machine

First, make sure you're using the latest version of Paint.NET, which is currently 5.0.1.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

11 hours ago, Heretic said:

As soon as I move the cursor to the image, the size I previously selected is locked in until I make another manual adjustment in the tool bar menu. This means I have to go back and forth a few times until I find the right size for the cursor.

...once you've upgraded to the latest version, hovering over the Brush size + and - will show you a tool tip, which tells you how to change the Brush size using keyboard input.

image.png

;) no more going back and forth!