Blurry image after resizing up or down

7 hours ago, Abel said:

the resized image is blurry no matter what the Resampling setting is.

The original size is 3365 x 5000

Are you saying that you have tried all the Resampling settings, including Best Quality?

You've told us the original image size but you haven't said what size you are resizing it to.

13 hours ago, Tactilis said:

Are you saying that you have tried all the Resampling settings, including Best Quality?

You've told us the original image size but you haven't said what size you are resizing it to.

I tried all resampling settings. I try to keep all my art work size range 1158 x 1426 I collect movies and I create my own textless posters for my disc pages

Can you show us a before/after of part of the image?

15 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Can you show us a before/after of part of the image?

Yeah I tried but turns out that they were too big to send. I'm not too worried about it 85% of my art work are for my personal  use . I like this program better than GIMP

PhotoShop is way too technical and feels like you need 4 years of collage to work it  😂

I never had any problems with Paint.net other than the 32 bit sizing till the last update install 

A friend asked me how how in the hell am I still using a 1997 Microsoft Photo Editor in windows 10 pro, It's a pain to install but it still works as the day it first came out.  

Edited by Abel

15 minutes ago, Abel said:

Yeah I tried but turns out that they were too big to send.

Just crop the original and resized to upload part of the images as @Ego Eram Reputo requested. Then we can compare the original an blurry resized images to help you.

A friend asked me how how in the hell am I still using a 1997 Microsoft Photo Editor in windows 10 pro

It's a pain to install but it still works as the day it first came out.  

Paint.NET is not a "Microsoft Photo Editor", and neither is it from 1997; its initial release was in 2004 and it has evolved hugely since then.

In what way do you find Paint.NET "a pain to install"?  It's simply a case of downloading and running the installer. And updates are handled automatically.

Are you perhaps confusing Paint.NET with some other application?

Increasing the size of an image with Image->Resize will always result in a sort-of-blurring look. That's just the nature of how resampling works. You can only get around this if you use some resizers that either use new-fangled AI or machine learning, or with certain algorithms that are tuned for specific use cases (e.g. pixel-art aka "Nintendo games", or anime/cartoons). In either of those cases, the de-blurring is still just a guess -- it's either a scenario-specific guess (like for pixel art or anime/cartoons) that looks good "in most cases", or it's literally just a fabrication that might be the right thing. (the TV trope of "zoom in and enhance!", while good entertainment, is still complete fiction)

When resizing something down, the blurriness you experience is just due to loss of information. When I resize screenshots, I will often apply Effects -> Photo -> Sharpen afterwards, I find it helps. Using the Fant resampling mode can also produce better results here, but it's subjective and YMMV.

An example of a screenshot that is resized, versus resized+sharpened. The original screenshot is first. I'm using Paint.NET 5.0, with the "Adaptive (Best Quality)" resampling mode for Image -> Resize, and a sharpening Amount value of 1.0. You may need to click twice on each image to get a 1:1 scaled version (1 source pixel = 1 monitor pixel, in other words).

image.png

image.png image.png

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

9 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

When resizing something down, the blurriness you experience is just due to loss of information.

Yes, of course. And good advice to sharpen after resizing smaller.

But the OP asserts "I never had any problems with Paint.net ... till the last update install".

They are probably confused about this  - but nevertheless it would be good to help them out if they would provide a cropped before and after image for comparison.

On 1/5/2023 at 7:41 PM, Abel said:

I try to keep all my art work size range 1158 x 1426.

I got curious to see what you are doing that's giving you grief.  Using a blank 800 x 600 canvas, I changed the canvas size to 3365 x 5000, and finally, using the Resize with 'Maintain aspect ratio' ticked on, entered 1158 (wide), the Resize automatically gave me the height to 1721 pixels.  Now, if I changed the height to 1426 pixels, I get 960 pixels width.  Conversely, I changed the pixel dimensions to 5000 pixels wide by 3365 pixels high, then using Resize, I get 1158 pixels wide by 779 pixels high.

I think that has been your problem all along.

3 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

I got curious to see what you are doing that's giving you grief.  Using a blank 800 x 600 canvas, I changed the canvas size to 3365 x 5000, and finally, using the Resize with 'Maintain aspect ratio' ticked on, entered 1158 (wide), the Resize automatically gave me the height to 1721 pixels.  Now, if I changed the height to 1426 pixels, I get 960 pixels width.  Conversely, I changed the pixel dimensions to 5000 pixels wide by 3365 pixels high, then using Resize, I get 1158 pixels wide by 779 pixels high.

I think that has been your problem all along.

Ok I will try that I was downsizing I expected some pixel loss but not as much as it is still doing. Like I said before I never had this problem till it's last update so now I bought the app from the Microsoft Store

I have never experienced any problems when resizing image as long as the maintain aspect ratio was left on. 

The only time I have seen images being blurry after resizing is when I’m trying to scale up as it is basically stretching existing pixels. 

I am using the free version of PDN beta release of 5.0 and don’t see any problem when resizing the image down.

Edit: Come to think of it, I do recall instances where resizing the image down became blurry and it was often from saving stock photos from, say unsplash.com or pexels.com, and the browser failed to allow the image to be sharp. That happened in rare case, mind you.

Edit #2: it would be helpful to provide us with the image that is giving you problem. Upload the image to a host site such as PostImage and provide a link. I’m really curious to see what it is. 

Edited by TrevorOutlaw