Paint.NET GUI Update is Necessary

I'm not trying to be negative, but Paint.NET looks really old. It needs a serious GUI update. Looking at Windows 11 and MacOS, Paint.NET looks like it's coming out of Windows 7. Now, I know a lot of photo editing programs don't look very pretty, but Paint.NET is simple enough to where modern-style GUI will totally work. It would just feel so great to open up Paint.NET one day to see it looking like it's from modern day. All I'm saying is that the GUI needs to be modernized, and that could be done so via the following examples:

- Rounded Corners
- Less Icons (Less, not none)
- A New Logo
- Less Outline Around Top Bar (Especially in Dark Mode)
- Child Windows Should Be Fitted into the Interface Better
- Transparency Effects on Child Windows

Can someone confirm that I'm not the only one that thinks this?

Edited by BinksTheSith

8 minutes ago, BinksTheSith said:

- Less Outline Around Windows (Especially in Dark Mode)

What are you talking about? Where's the outline in this screenshot?

image.png

10 minutes ago, BinksTheSith said:

Better how?

10 minutes ago, BinksTheSith said:

Child windows already use transparency.

image.png

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

For every 1 person who says "it needs to be modernized 🍷🧀" there are 10 people who don't care and/or who get legitimately uncomfortable when I do things as simple as change the icons (seriously: the number of cranky, ridiculous comments when 4.1.6 was released with the icons revamp was ridiculous, but it was from a vocal but extremely tiny minority).

People generally like PDN's UI, and it works quite well. There's really no major problem here at the moment, other than some touchups here and there that could be done and which I have been doing over time. The most important thing for PDN is its functionality, not its flair. Prioritization is important, there's only so much I can do with the time available (24 hours per day, 52 weeks per year...). And this sort of thing is not a critical priority right now.

Also if you want rounded corners, just install Windows 11. 

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

If I haven't mentioned it before, the Help > About animation is gorgeous :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BinksTheSith said:

All I'm saying is that the GUI needs to be modernized, and that could be done so via the following examples:

- Rounded Corners
- Less Icons (Less, not none)
- A New Logo
- Less Outline Around Top Bar (Especially in Dark Mode)

Although I wouldn't object to these changes being made, none of these things would make any difference to my use of Paint.NET.

I don't spend time just admiring the UI; I use the application.

I'm grateful for the continually evolving functionality of Paint.NET, coupled with the simplicity of its interface and the provision of keyboard shortcuts to control most of its features, which speeds up interaction with the app hugely.

UI 'modernization' in the manner proposed would not add anything to my use of Paint.NET.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

seriously: the number of cranky, ridiculous comments when 4.1.6 was released with the icons revamp was ridiculous, but it was from a vocal but extremely tiny minority

How well I remember that. PDN has really come a long way since the early days of 3.5 version and the interface is intuitive and simple for me.

I have tried Gimp and Krita and I keep coming back to PDN for the simplicity and ease of use.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...