Select layer from the color picker

Hello, I'm using paint.net since many years and I'm wondering if there is a way to select a layer from a pixel,

like when I'm using the color picker with the sampling being the whole image (and not layer).

(Maybe an option inside the color picker like switch layer from the selected pixel layer)

This can be useful when dealing with to many layers (especially when they are badly named), and mostly it can make selecting a layer easier (and save a lot of time, even when the layers are named)

I don't think this feature is in paint.net and I don't know any similar way of doing it

Thank if you have any idea on how to do it,

- Thomas

image.png

If I understand what you mean, you want to be able to switch to the layer from which the selected pixel came. If that's what you want, I doubt it's practical. In many cases the color of a pixel depends on more than one layer. For example, if an upper layer's pixel is semi-transparent, or if an upper layer has a Blend Mode other than Normal. I suppose the layer-switching option could be grayed out except when the sampled pixel is an opaque pixel with only transparent pixels above it. Though in some cases the feature might be useful, I'm not optimistic Rick Brewster will find it to be worth adding. It seems rather specific to the way you use layers for what you're doing.

• Like 1

I just tried a method using one of my files, having set the color picker sampling to "Image", and changing "After click: switch to previous tool," in this case the paint brush was picked first, then the color picker. Working a new transparent layer and while using the color picker tool, I kept the left mouse button down while scanning for a color I wanted to pick, and let go of the mouse button. The tool then automatically switched to the paint brush.

By the way, I was able to do this using PDN alpha 5.0 version. I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but a bit of practice using the short cut keys, K (for color picker) and B (for paintbrush), I think it will become second-nature.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 9:39 PM, MJW said:

If I understand what you mean, you want to be able to switch to the layer from which the selected pixel came. If that's what you want, I doubt it's practical. In many cases the color of a pixel depends on more than one layer. For example, if an upper layer's pixel is semi-transparent, or if an upper layer has a Blend Mode other than Normal. I suppose the layer-switching option could be grayed out except when the sampled pixel is an opaque pixel with only transparent pixels above it. Though in some cases the feature might be useful, I'm not optimistic Rick Brewster will find it to be worth adding. It seems rather specific to the way you use layers for what you're doing.

That a good point about layer

What about switching to the first layer where the pixel is non alpha/visible from top layer to bottom ?

But yes maybe this is to much specific

Thank for the anwser TrevorOutlaw, It is a good shortcut to use, but it can't change the layer