How to keep pasted images as individual objects in PDN

Hello,

I'd like to paste several small images and save them in a .pdn file as individual object.

This is image is for some documentation and it's expected in the future to re-arange those pasted small images.

The problem is that once the small image is pasted, I don't see paint .net having any notion of that as an individual object that I can just click to select and move.

I'm missing the basic notions to understand how to do this. Should I place each pasted image in a new layer? If I'd have 20 small images that I later want to move around individually do I need 20 layers?

A link to relevant documentation for this would be also appreciated.

Thank you.

Hello @waverider and welcome to the forum :) 

16 minutes ago, waverider said:

The problem is that once the small image is pasted, I don't see paint .net having any notion of that as an individual object that I can just click to select and move.

Once you open your saved .pdn they should open up in layers, if you saved them as layers, then you can move them.

17 minutes ago, waverider said:

If I'd have 20 small images that I later want to move around individually do I need 20 layers?

It will be easier for you to move them around, if you have each one on its own layer.

If they are all on one layer, then you would have to 'select' each one individually and then you could Cut & Paste into a new layer.  Also, this original layer would have to be transparent.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hi, Pixey! Thanks a lot for your answer.

I don't want to select on "bitmap level", I mean dummy pixels that are not aware what the "object" is.

Then the recommended solution is layers?

Any other way of storing in .pdn individual "objects" that can later be moved around?

On 12/3/2022 at 8:59 AM, waverider said:

Any other way of storing in .pdn individual "objects" that can later be moved around?

Only as collections of pixels on their own layer.

See here: https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/WorkingWithLayers.html

The puzzle piece and the heart are on their own layers - and can be moved around as a single item by moving the entire layer.