How to blend a colour gradient across an irregular shape

Rob393

I have a coloured contour map for which the topographic resolution was rather low. Consequently, the colour gradient applied results in the contours being visible as broken transitional bands across the map. Is there a way to blend at each colour transition such that the gradient is smooth and the contours no longer visible? I would have uploaded a copy of the image but for life of me I cannot figure out how to upload from one's computer into a forum post. 

Imagine, however, something like the map shown below, though without the explicit grey contours. How would one blenn the colour transitions until they are smooth and seamless?color-topographic-contour-map-background

31 minutes ago, Rob393 said:

but for life of me I cannot figure out how to upload from one's computer into a forum post.

Welcome to the forum @Rob393  :) 

What we do on here is to use an outside hosting site.  Two are Imgur and Postimage.org where you can copy the 'direct link' code, being mindful of the size.  Nothing larger than 800 x 600 please.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.