How to Install Plugins ×

CodeLab v6.12 for Paint.NET 5.0.12 (Updated February 11, 2024)

I think Codelab is the better plugin ever, since it has the power of 1000 plugins and more. Thanks to Tom, Rick, BoltBait and anyone that contributed to it.

There is room for improvement, of course.

I don't ask for a better text editor. I don't ask for automatic formatting or syntax coloring. I don't ask for auto-completion of variable or function names. I don't ask for direct linking to msdn for syntax reference. I don't ask for automatic bugs correction.

I only ask for some more sliders in the user interface. Two or three more only. Please. I don't think it is a complex work to do. Is it possible? If it is not possible, no matter. I thank you anyway.

Thanks

Pyjo.

What you don't ask for are great ideas!

What you are asking for isn't ready in Paint.net (there are pre-coded elements for 1, 2 or 3 sliders, not more)

and so it will need to rewrite deeply the CodeLab to use more sliders...

I could help you to create a plugin with VS2008 express, or adapt a CodeLab to a VS version...

With the IndirectUI, and a good template, it isn't so much more difficult than using the CodeLab, and you could add angle chosser and sliders and choicelist and more than 3!

Let me know!

I think Codelab is the better plugin ever, since it has the power of 1000 plugins and more. Thanks to Tom, Rick, BoltBait and anyone that contributed to it.

There is room for improvement, of course.

I don't ask for a better text editor. I don't ask for automatic formatting or syntax coloring. I don't ask for auto-completion of variable or function names. I don't ask for direct linking to msdn for syntax reference. I don't ask for automatic bugs correction.

I only ask for some more sliders in the user interface. Two or three more only. Please. I don't think it is a complex work to do. Is it possible? If it is not possible, no matter. I thank you anyway.

Thanks

Pyjo.

Well, I'm glad you aren't asking for those things. :D

But, what you ARE asking for, is coming very soon. I am in the process of updating CodeLab to use the new IndirectUI of Paint.NET. When it is done, you will be able to add as many sliders, check boxes, angle choosers, etc. that you want.

It will also be supporting the IPluginSupportInfo class for plugin author details, etc.

I've also been thinking of allowing you to create composition effects by changing the Render function. It would be slightly more complex then it is currently, but obviously, MUCH more flexible.

I am also looking at Ego Eram Reputo's requests (above).

Well, I'm glad you aren't asking for those things. :D

But, what you ARE asking for, is coming very soon. I am in the process of updating CodeLab to use the new IndirectUI of Paint.NET. When it is done, you will be able to add as many sliders, check boxes, angle choosers, etc. that you want.

May I say that I love you? These are great news!

You are lucky, also, since after Madjik post I was going to ask you for all the rest. I'd be especially interested in the automatic bug fixing ferature, but if you give me unlimited sliders I'll never ask you anything else.

Thanks

Pyjo.

...you will be able to add as many sliders, check boxes, angle choosers, etc. that you want.

I'm sure all codelab users will be excited about this pending update.

I am also looking at Ego Eram Reputo's requests (above).
Brilliant! Many thanks BoltBait.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

when I try to compile a plugin with CodeLab which doesn't exist yet, I get an error:

Internal Error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file blabla.dll

where blabla.dll stands for some random DLL-Filename like ucb9af.dll.

Then the plugin does not appear in the entered submenu, it appears directly in the Effects-Menu and works fine.

This happens to me too if I've just created the icon I have for the plugin.

There is a conflict as the icon image is still in use. But the plugin DLL is correctly built.

Stop/restart Paint.net to see the plugin in the menu.

When you build the plugin, be sure to select/create the menu name.

Without menu, the plugin appears directly in the menu Effect.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I am in the process of updating CodeLab to use the new IndirectUI of Paint.NET. When it is done, you will be able to add as many sliders, check boxes, angle choosers, etc. that you want.

Any ETA?

The exitement induced by the liquefy plugin by Mike motivated me to improve my power stretch...

Thanks,

Pyjo.

• 4 weeks later...
I am in the process of updating CodeLab to use the new IndirectUI of Paint.NET. When it is done, you will be able to add as many sliders, check boxes, angle choosers, etc. that you want.

Any ETA?

The exitement induced by the liquefy plugin by Mike motivated me to improve my power stretch...

Thanks,

Pyjo.

ETA: Today. ;)

HUGE update for CodeLab today. :mrgreen::PanTool: :AddNoise:

Changes:

1.0 Release

- "The UI needs a complete rewrite to make it look more like a proper application" by BoltBait ...OK

- "I think there's more value in an upgraded version of CodeLab that uses IndirectUI" by Rick Brewster ...Ya think?

- "I would like the ability to maximize the code window. Also, I want to be able to specify Large Font mode" by Ego Eram Reputo ...Why not?

- "I don't ask for a better text editor. I don't ask for automatic formatting or syntax coloring" by pyjo ...Well, you got it anyway.

- "I only ask for some more sliders in the user interface." by pyjo ...no problem!

- "supporting the IPluginSupportInfo class for plugin author details, etc." by BoltBait ...what?

- "Is there any way to get the generated source-code?" by PhilipLB ...there is now!

- "Delete key doesn't cause a rebuild" by pyrochild ...wanna bet?

- "The editor should indent and outdent highlighted lines when tab and shift-tab is pressed" by BoltBait ...sure

- "effects that are in the adjustments menu can be in submenus under adjustments" by BoltBait ...really? Neat!

- "I want to be able to adjust the opacity of the editor window" by BoltBait ...O...K...

- "There should be support for the following defaults:

// Author: BoltBait

// URL: http://www.boltbait.com/pdn

just like we had for submenu in the Beta 2 build" by BoltBait ...will people actually use this?

Syntax highlighting code for the editor supplied by Curtis (Curtis Black).

Many thanks goes out to pyrochild and Curtis for all the testing and feedback.

Download it here: http://www.boltbait.com/pdn/codelab/

BoltBait, File->Save as DLL doesn't give you a chance to change the name before it freaks out and informs you that X.dll already exists. Having to save the source before being able to change the name of anything is really... tacky.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

BoltBait, File->Save as DLL doesn't give you a chance to change the name before it freaks out and informs you that X.dll already exists. Having to save the source before being able to change the name of anything is really... tacky.

Where were you before release?

See, now, that's the sort of feedback that I rely on my beta testers to provide IN A TIMELY MANNER!!! :roll:

(In other words, tough!)

In other news, I really wish I knew enough to know what to test when beta testing. I feel bad.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Alright, I have a suggestion: stop going straight to the directory Paint.NET last opened when opening up a source code file. I highly doubt many users save their source code with their images, it is very unhelpful. Perhaps you could make a registry key for where Code Lab last opened up a file?

signature.png

In other news, I really wish I knew enough to know what to test when beta testing. I feel bad.

Nah, don't worry about it.

All you need to know is that when Rick said (in the first post in this thread):

Please note that this is experimental technology and is not meant to provide a robust development environment.

It's no longer true.

CodeLab is all grown up now...

8)

Wow :!: This is a seriously impressive update!

The new UI controls are an excellent addition and bring a whole new range of possibilities to plugins made with codelab. I'm gonna have to spend some serious play-time fiddling with the "all grown up" codelab in the next day or two.

Many thanks BoltBait, you're awesome.