How to Install Plugins ×

BoltBait's GPU Accelerated Plugin Pack for Paint.NET v5.0 (Updated 2024-01-05)

BoltBait

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Bevel Selection.

I notice it no longer has the option to uncheck 'keep original image'.

I didn't bother implementing that because you can just make your selection then add a new layer before running the effect.

4 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

you can just make your selection then add a new layer before running the effect.

I've tried, but can't get it work 🙄 I can't think what I'm doing wrong 😬

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

1 minute ago, BoltBait said:

You're not doing anything wrong.  It's all me.

Phew!  That makes me feel so much better 🤣

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Hello.. I just updated to 5.0 paint.net..and im very sad.. as ive downloaded the new ones.. and also paint.net TWICE... and still the ones i use the most from you.. are getting the dang plugin error... What can i do to fix this?

Edit. There are 17 plugins in total I know are from you that apparently say theres an update to...

Edit 2: Sorry. I'm stupid. I have fixed the issues I was having. I'm just not reading correctly I guess.

Edited by Sheriff

Hello, BoltBait - thank you for the update. I just updated a couple hours ago, and one thing that immediately jumped out at me was the removal of A value selection for Outline Object. I use that tool a great deal and was wondering if there was any way that could be reinstated? For this icon I made yesterday, with a width of 5 and A value of 50, after updating, A width of 3 gets the outline approximately the same size, but it loses the very smooth edges and gradual drop-off that the A value of 50 gave it.

I did try the outline selection tool, but adjusting the A value on that seemed to just change the opacity of the entire outline rather than the just affecting the edges like the old outline object seemed to do. Please let me know if there's something obvious I'm missing, though - and thank you again for the update, just hoping there's some way this can still be done as I used to.

Edited by TheShiningAbsol

5 hours ago, TheShiningAbsol said:

it loses the very smooth edges and gradual drop-off

That was a conscious choice on my part.  I was never happy with the fact that the outline had a gradual drop-off.  I always wanted Outline Object to render a solid shape that was anti-aliased (just like drawing a line with the line tool).  So, I fixed it.  I'm sorry if you were relying on the old, broken behavior.  But, this really fits the name of the plugin best.  I'm sure you'll find a workaround. 

Maybe you could follow up the Outline Object with a Feather Object with radius > 2.

10 hours ago, Pixey said:

I'm having a problem with > Selection > Bevel Selection.

I notice it no longer has the option to uncheck 'keep original image'.

This has been addressed.  Please download and install the pack again!

image.png

Enjoy! :beer: B) 👍

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Hooray 1

58 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

That was a conscious choice on my part.  I was never happy with the fact that the outline had a gradual drop-off.  I always wanted Outline Object to render a solid shape that was anti-aliased (just like drawing a line with the line tool).  So, I fixed it.  I'm sorry if you were relying on the old, broken behavior.  But, this really fits the name of the plugin best.  I'm sure you'll find a workaround. 

Maybe you could follow up the Outline Object with a Feather Object with radius > 2.

Understood! I had a feeling it was probably intentional. I'll just keep a copy of pre-5.0 for when I need the old plugin. Thanks!

image.png.63d4cb62395960e3d2eb9ec304b4eeb8.png

Did you remove the transparency option on the outline object feature? It helps pixel-art out a bit, so removing it really doesn't do me any favours. Hoping it gets added back soon.

• Like 1

As silly as this might sound, I've been using Paint.NET for close to a decade now, and I've always made every shape I needed myself. With the release of 5.0, I finally decided to get some custom shapes. So far I've used them way more than I thought I would, either by themselves or as a starting point for more complex designs. Thanks for making them, and if you decide to make any new ones, I can safely say at least one person would use them. Keep at it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pixelcraftian said:

Did you remove the transparency option on the outline object feature? It helps pixel-art out a bit, so removing it really doesn't do me any favours. Hoping it gets added back soon.

The lines that are drawn are anti-aliased.  Are you asking for "aliased" lines?  If so, I could add that.  I just didn't know it would be useful.

@BoltBaitHey there, thank you for the incredible pack! I have just updated to your 5.0 paint.net compatible version of this pack and have been enjoying it thoroughly! However, there is one thing that is bugging me significantly. In your most recent update, the feather tool's functionality was changed to be drastically different in comparison to an older version of your pack that I was using for a very long time which does not work anymore (BoltBaitPack50, the feather tool under effects > object).

I would love if you were to bring back this version of the feather object tool that you made, because it was THE most useful tool I have used in paint.net to date; every time I load the program up I end up using that version. But now, the functionality does not act in the same manner anymore and it's very frustrating to use (pretty much useless for my case now).

Previously, your feather object tool would only feather the edges of said object, leading to fantastic results and no deformities nor dilations of the base shape. However, the current tool in BoltBaitPack62 feathers the object by simply removing parts of the image, which is not very useful especially if you're trying to feather a pixelated line (now the line simply disappears because of the new functionality). Is it possible that the new tool is too sensitive? I'm not sure. But all I really want is for the old tool to return in it's beautiful glory once more! 

Please, please, please, please!! I would love for this tool to return in the exact same shape/functionality as it once had. Maybe as a legacy version for people who want to use the newer one, but either way it would mean the world to me!

Here is a clear cut example of what I am talking about:

BoltBaitPack50 - Feather Object Tool (Radius 1)
image.png.dd8fef9785f4ae2327b241ca68552372.png

BoltBaitPack62 - Feather Object Tool (Radius 0)
image.png.60039b64fc1a38782e0d4cbec014ea11.png

BoltBaitPack62 - Feather Object Tool (Radius 1)
image.png.8e5290c0338bc9925d0bf18088ef3c1c.png

Edited by Random Finn

22 hours ago, BoltBait said:

This has been addressed.  Please download and install the pack again!

image.png

Enjoy! :beer: B) 👍

I reinstalled the pack both on here and on your website, yet both versions still do not have this feature on the bevel selection. Not sure what's happening! If it is of any use, I am using Windows 10.

Edited by Random Finn

10 hours ago, Pixelcraftian said:

Did you remove the transparency option on the outline object feature? It helps pixel-art out a bit, ... Hoping it gets added back soon.

I have added an "Anti-Alias outline" option to both Object > Outline object and Selection > Outline selection.

image.png

Plugin pack in first post of this thread has been refreshed.

Enjoy. :beer: B) 👍

• BoltBait changed the title to BoltBait's GPU Accelerated Plugin Pack for Paint.NET v5.0 (Updated 2023-01-12)

Thank you for the outline tool, helps me create stickers for my illustrations.

Do you know is there any way to automate this so it creates white outline to all PNG images in folder?

Thank you. 
image.png.5992f4b1acb5d1e73c2f4ae8ff3b7712.png

14 hours ago, Random Finn said:

In your most recent update, the feather tool's functionality was changed to be drastically different in comparison to an older version of your pack that I was using for a very long time which does not work anymore

Show me the original image before running Object Feather on it.  (If it is a .pdn file, zip it up before attaching it to your post.)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Show me the original image before running Object Feather on it.  (If it is a .pdn file, zip it up before attaching it to your post.)

Here's the original without any feather, depicting aliased line work. The lines were on a separate layer of course and were just made randomly as an exemplar.

However, the images I have shown have been enlarged by taking a screenshot of it up close.
I have linked a zip file that includes this specific exemplar at its original size, plus a newer version I created to test a larger aliased circle.

The lines in the middle of the circle are there as a failsafe to see if the whole image is blurred or not. Furthermore, if you flick between the radiuses 1-5, you can clearly see that the newer one is a lot more aggressive and dilutes the image drastically than before and the previous seems to do a better job at the feathering as well (at least from what I see haha!)

image.png.2121ef208e8d69bc3500be25eeb40607.png

FeatherTest.zip

Edited by Random Finn