Colors menu should (imho) expand its settings by default

Lasse Edsvik
Go to solution Solved by MJW,

Hi :)

Just an idea.... I think colors menu should (imho) expand its settings by default.

Since it's really tiny, the whole thing could fit on a Gameboy screen. And clicking "More >>" just feels abit 1997.

Thanks anyways for an amazing program :)

Also..... :)

It would be a nice feature to, lets say, have the latest 5 colors used in showed somewhere in those color selection boxes or something. So its like having your own palette and you can easily select colors you want, without having to paste hex numbers in from notepad when you're creating stuff. 

Edited by Lasse Edsvik
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Lasse Edsvik said:

So its like having your own palette and you can easily select colors you want, without having to paste hex numbers in from notepad when you're creating stuff. 

That's what the color swatch is for (number 6 below). Left Click on the color to select it as the Primary color. Right clicking selects the color as the Secondary color.

colorswindownumbered.png

The Colors Window is more powerful than you're giving it credit for, and I suspect there are a few tips you've yet to discover (e.g. you can assemble and show your own custom palettes). Check out the documentation on it here https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ColorsWindow.html

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Right clicking selects the color as the Secondary color.

But it doesn't ?

Right click on the color wheel selects the primary color as does a left click.

The ink dropper tool uses left to set primary and right to set secondary (as expected) ...but the color wheel doesn't - unfortunately.

Perhaps I've misunderstood.🤪

Happy birthday.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

• Solution
3 hours ago, Red ochre said:

Right click on the color wheel selects the primary color as does a left click.

I think that's slightly incorrect. Left or right clicking on the color wheel selects whichever one, Primary or Secondary, is the current choice in the drop-down box at the top of the Color menu. I believe it would be better if it worked like the Dropper. Or perhaps left clicking should select whichever is the current choice, while right clicking should switch the choice, and then select that color. That seems very practical, but it might be confusing. (I don't think the Dropper could work that way, because then the user would have to see the Color menu to know which was being chosen.)

I think the original commenter has a good point. Maybe there could be a setting for whether the Color menu is initially expanded. Perhaps there could even be a third option of have it initially not expanded, but to automatically expand it when a color is selected with the Dropper. I nearly always want the full Color menu when I sample a color.

On 11/4/2022 at 10:13 AM, Red ochre said:

But it doesn't ?

I was referring to the palette. Left = install to Primary, Right = install to Secondary. Not so the color wheel (as you pointed out). I wish it did :)

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

I was referring to the palette.

My apologies - I misunderstood.

I do find the color wheel left/right click inconsistency the most frustrating thing in an otherwise extremely well designed U.I.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg