change reflected background color

Hi folks,

this is something that I have been asking myself for quite some time now. Let's say I have a photo of an object with a uniform background like the attached one.

If I want to change the background, I'm running into the problem that the current background is obviously reflected on every surface, e.g. the car's side.

I have several color plugins installed but I'm missing a way to properly do it. For example, using Color Cut (XMario) with white as primary color, I can remove part of the background but the reflection areas aren't changed. I'd need something that basically lets me split the "white channel" from the rest of the colors. What plugin is best for this?

Thanks for your help! :)

32500_WC03Bc.png

3 hours ago, Alpha23 said:

. I'd need something that basically lets me split the "white channel" from the rest of the colors.

Of course you will end up with slightly transparent colors if you remove white, but you could do this:

1.  Remove the background, one free site to do this is remove.bg

2.  Select the color you want removed with the color picker.

3.  Use Grim Color Reaper to remove the selected color.

grim-weaper.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 2 weeks later...

Your plugin does the exact this that the cut color plugin does. Look at the result when I change the background color afterwards:

1_24_40300-96Aa.png

Definitely not what I want obviously - I'd need this to look as if the object was photographed in front of a different background.

Here's a screenshot of another photo with a colored layer below that shows what the plugin does and why this isn't working:

Untitled.png

You see all that white reflection still present on the surface - when the tolerance is turned down, it just deletes whole areas:

Untitled2.png

Here's another example what I basically need to change:

Untitled3.png

The primary color is taken from the lower part of the rear fender. That color contains a portion of "white" light (rgb-overlay) that previously came from the background. This pars needs to either be transparent or taken to a different layer. So basically what ray racing does in renders.

Edited by Alpha23

5 hours ago, Alpha23 said:

Can you explain how I would go about this? Nothing happens when I click on the plugin...

Many apologies - I gave you the wrong link.  I'm not sure if this helps, but please read through this post to see if this could help.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.