Tool bar and icons size

Hello great program.. considering the very fair donation request (which i will be doing) and features it defo holds its own against the big boys with their over inflated prices.

I eye sight isn't what it was 😞 and using a big 27inch screen i find the tool bar options and tool icons too small, it would be nice to see an option to pick a larger size.

your thoughts

thanks guys 

Nick 

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 8/22/2022 at 9:55 PM, toe_head2001 said:

Have you tried adjusting the Display Scaling in the Windows Settings?

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-custom-display-scaling-setting-windows-10

yeah had a play but doesn't increase Paint app icons that much yet made my other apps etc to large... its more to do with the paint app icons being too small to start with.. most of my design programs give the option to increase the icon sizes .. just be nice if paint programmers could look into it.

but thanks guys 

• 6 months later...

I registered just to reply here... Please add my vote for larger icons. The current ones seem to be 24x24 and 32x32 would be a blessing for those of us with poor vision. As display resolutions keep going up over the years, the icons seem smaller. Even at 150% scaling which has no effect oh the app sadly.

Way back when, I would have seen this as an accessibility request. If I had only one single wish, this would be the one. The app is amazing and I feel like an idiot for having passed it by years ago.

The app icons do scale with the Windows scaling settings. So they will have twice the pixel size at 200% than at 100%.

Is there something about adjusting the Windows scaling settings that isn't sufficient for your needs? Is there a reason you haven't tried 200% scaling, for instance?

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I tried going from 150 to 200 as you suggested. It does change the icon size yes. However it changes everything in windows. Start menu reaches close to top of screen, taskbar icons are taking up more than half the task bar (no open windows lol). Its just not a realistic option because everything else that is displayed large at 150% becomes jumbo at 200%.

If... If there was a way to set per application scaling, that would be a perfect solution! But Im 99% certain Windows does not have such a setting.... In PDN > Settings > UI: there is an option for animations. Its difficult for me to reconcile whats been said in this thread. Not trying to start a debate or be an AH. I appreciate your time and attention, thank you. But 200% scaling creates more problems and only solves one.

Unfortunately it's not really feasible for me to add a setting for this -- it would require a lot of layout code changes, and these things are generally quite fragile. Making some parts of the UI scale but not others would be a recipe for disaster.

You can also try 175%, maybe it's a good middle ground between 150% and 200%.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I can understand where you are coming from and I know that things seem simple, but require allot of work. Oddly enough the icons are the same size at 100, 125 and 150% while other apps change sizes.

The 175% is an option while I try to find a way to do per app scaling. There might be a 3rd party app that will do this. Thank you for your suggestions and consideration on the topic. I do appreciate it.

• 1 year later...

I just installed Win11 and came across your FANTASTIC program and its so much better then the plain Windows paint program. I cant afford PS and Gimp is a bit hard and i have only been using yours for a few days but i really like it except for one thing the others have said, i wish the tool bar icons were much larger! Windows scaling does not work in the program, my eyes arent what they once were so im litterally removing my glasses and putting my head less than a foot away from the screen to see all the icons.

I know so many others would agreeing in saying PLEASE MAKE THE ICONS BIGGER! i want to make a donation but not sure if im able to continue using this program just because its so hard to read.

Thank you for your time and consideration!

Kevin in South Dakota

• Upvote 1

@Northerner welcome to the forum.

Glad you like the superb paint.net that @Rick Brewster has created.

However, before posting again, please read all the Forum Rules

22 minutes ago, Northerner said:

PLEASE MAKE THE ICONS BIGGER!

Typing in all caps is considered shouting. There's no need to do this. See Rule #3.

Also, you have revived a year old thread. See Rule #11.

Finally, note that paint.net does respond to the Windows Scale setting.

I've just checked this for 100%, 125%, 150%, 175% and the icons do change size as expected.

If this is not working for you, then please start a new topic so we can help you there.