add a layer

Go to solution Solved by Pixey,

I am using Paint Net 4.3.11, running on Windows 7 Pro SP1. I am having a real problem trying to add a small .png image on top of another larger .png image. The first image that I add appears in the Layers dropdown as it should. But then when I try to add the second image (either from a file or from the image icons which appear at the top of the program), the 2nd image just replaces the first one! It doesn't matter if I have added a new blank layer to the Layers dropdown or not. And it doesn't matter which of the two files I place first in the Layers dropdown.

I did a search in Paint's Help, but I could not find anything that addresses the issue.

What am I doing wrong here?

Harry

PaintNetLayerProblemE.jpg

1 hour ago, acbex said:

when I try to add the second image (either from a file or from the image icons which appear at the top of the program), the 2nd image just replaces the first one!

You just need to explain the steps you are taking to do this. Then we can better identify what you are doing wrong. Sounds like you are not using copy/paste or import from file.

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

To add the new image, are you using Layers > Import from file?

• Solution

What's happening is that each time you import the .png it is opening in a new window:

7-windows-open.png

You need to import via > Layers > import, then the image will stay in the same window.

Alternatively, if your smaller image is in window 2, copy it, then move over to window 1 and paste into a new layer.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 7/13/2022 at 9:49 AM, Pixey said:

What's happening is that each time you import the .png it is opening in a new window:

7-windows-open.png

You need to import via > Layers > import, then the image will stay in the same window.

Alternatively, if your smaller image is in window 2, copy it, then move over to window 1 and paste into a new layer.

Thats iT !!! Thank so much! P.S. Sorry so late in responding, but the 'Follow Topic', which I assume is supposed to send me an email when there is a response, either doesn't seem to work, or that is not what it is supposed to do.

Harry