Curve an Image Like You Curve a Line Using Spline

Go to solution Solved by ardneh,

Say I have a long image 200x16 pixels. That is the texture.

Then I have another image, and I want to import that long image into memory, so I can use it as the image for a line.

Is it possible using a tool to click at a start point, then click an end point, then have the 4 manipulation circles like you get in a Spline-Line tool, so you can curve that long image I have in memory onto the background picture.

(As you can tell I am new at this, so probably do not know all the lingo).

Hello @JAA and welcome to the forum :)

I'll assume when you say 'to memory' mean bring it into paint.net?

1.  Import the one you want as 'memory' and then "Save As" and save it as a .png to a folder.

2.  Import the 'long' image (Have the other one on it's own layer)

3.  You cannot have the point circles you mention, but will need to curve it to the shape you want with a Plugin.

I've used the Plugin called Bulge to do this example.  Once you have the curve, then move it with the Rectangle Select :RectangleSelectTool: to get it into line:

Bulge.png

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks for the reply, but I do not think Bulge can achieve the effect I am after.

Here is a very basic example of a graphic I want to distort.

image.png.6cc98280476e69261626a139edef4d93.png

I want this to almost become the circumference of a semi circle, but not quite, retaining the layout of the stuff inside which goes into the circumference of the semi circle with it.

Basically the circumference of a semi-circle is graphic above but curved.

Bulge just appears to expand one spot.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to do what you want. It would be a pretty neat plugin, but one I don't believe anyone has written. The closest thing I can think of is pyrochild's Grid Warp. I doubt, though, that the types of curves it can produce are general enough for what you have in mind.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. The Distortion looked really good, but I could not get it to work. The Grid Warp was another great plugin, but a little cumbersome for what I needed. Shape 3D was good, but did give a 3D look, which was not something I wanted for what I was going this time. The Gravity was a good compramise, but it took quite a while for me to use it in the way I wanted for a 180 degree wide curve, doing a little bit of the curve at a time.

3 hours ago, JAA said:

Shape 3D was good, but did give a 3D look, which was not something I wanted for what I was going this time.

If the 3D look is due to directional light shading, you can turn that off and only use flat shading. Under Lighting, uncheck ON. You can also change the amount of perspective by changing the Camera Angle under Projection.

• Like 1