Lasso tool

Adam1997

Is there any chance that there will ever be a lasso feature wherein one can click different points and select an object more manually. The square selection tool can select too much and the current lasso tool can be quite difficult to use or can select too little or too much.

• Upvote 1

Hello @Adam1997 and welcome to the forum :)

I'm not aware of that being introduced to PDN, but have you tried this:

And ..... another:

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 6/9/2022 at 10:55 AM, Adam1997 said:

Is there any chance that there will ever be a lasso feature wherein one can click different points and select an object more manually.

Possibly, yes - but there's no ETA.

See this post  (Magnetic Lasso and Polygonal lasso / selection tool)

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

Alrighty, that was what I was looking too. thanks for the update! Do you have a suggestion for how can one make a selection anti aliased without this feature?
I wanted to use an anti aliased selection to censor parts of an image that contained my personal information using a blur effect. So what I did for now was to make a rough selection round the area, and then add 20+ Ellipse Selections over the edges at the right angle

11 hours ago, Kfir Nissim said:

I wanted to use an anti aliased selection to censor parts of an image that contained my personal information using a blur effect.

I think there are probably better ways to do what you want to do. For instance:

• Duplicate the image layer (so you have two layers with the original image).
  • Blur the lower layer
  • In the upper layer, use a large Eraser with low Hardness to erase the areas you want to blur. The blurred lower layer will show in the erased areas. The low Hardness gives a soft edge. If there are really large areas to erase, use a selection along with Erase Selection to erase that main area, then soften the edge with the Eraser.
  • Merge the layers.

EDIT: There's another current thread on that very subject with some more suggestions.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I think there are probably better ways to do what you want to do. For instance:

EDIT: There's another current thread on that very subject with some more suggestions.

oh that would be much smarter! Thanks <3

Ahh! I was searching for this for the last couple of weeks. 

What can we do to bump up the time line? I was also hoping for selecting by clicking on points, and it would connect the dots. 

Polygonal lasso / selection tool - At some point, yes. Not sure when though (no ETA).

• 4 weeks later...

On 10/3/2022 at 7:28 PM, CircleBox said:

What can we do to bump up the time line?

You/we can do nothing. Please re-read the first 4 paragraphs of Rick's Popular Feature Requests post.