Update failed with error 1603, now my installation is gone and I can't install the current version

In the past, updates worked fine, but recently I tried to update to the current version, and the installer failed, giving me a 1603 fatal error. I thought nothing of it and tried to start paint.net again, only to see that my installation was all but wiped from my drive. I tried installing again using the various installers (the web one, the regular installer, the .MSI installer), and none of them were able to install, with all of them failing to this 1603 fatal error.

I've tried the Microsoft tool that's been linked in countless other examples of this issue, but every time I run it and click either Install or Uninstall, paint.net doesn't show up in the list. I have no idea what else I can do to try and get the program running on my machine again.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Tried to run the tool and paint.net doesn't show up at all. I've tried the regular installer and the msi installer for my 64-bit machine and they both throw the same error. Should I try the portable one, or try installing the 32-bit version?

SetupFrontEnd_2022-05-30_14-21-15.png

Okay, that one works since it's the portable version, which doesn't need to be installed. But, this doesn't solve the issue with actually installing the program, unfortunately. Is there anything else I can do, or am I stuck with the portable version?

53 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

Try running the MSI with verbose logging. It will probably tell you why it's failing.

msiexec /i paint.net.4.3.11.winmsi.x64.msi /L*V %UserProfile%\Desktop\pdn.log

The log file is too big for the 256kb upload size, and it's too big for pastebin, so I've uploaded it to dropbox. https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5qqf3jmri1uqtl/pdn.log?dl=0

MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:797]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=_...si_x64_scd_aot_paintdotnet_exe,ActionType=3602,Source=C:\Program Files\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe,Target=/setupActions /install DESKTOPSHORTCUT=1 PDNUPDATING= SKIPCLEANUP= "PROGRAMSGROUP=" /disablePGO /skipEstablishNVProfile /skipRepairAttempt,)
MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:797]: Executing op: End(Checksum=0,ProgressTotalHDWord=0,ProgressTotalLDWord=0)
MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:799]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035 
MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:799]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:799]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (64:5C) [15:43:09:800]: Note: 1: 2265 2:  3: -2147287035 
MSI (s) (64:C8) [15:43:09:802]: System Environment : Client has accepted UAC prompt
CustomAction _...si_x64_scd_aot_paintdotnet_exe returned actual error code -2147024891 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

@N1nDr0id, do you have a file in %TEMP% called pdnSetupActionsInstall.log? Please post that file

The error code, -2147024891, is 0x80070005 in hex, also known as E_ACCESSDENIED, so it's not able to read or write something that's important.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg