Levels gray point swatch, question/bug?

The gray point swatch in the Levels UI cannot be double-clicked, but according to the documentation it should be possible.

I don't yet know whether it would be helpful, but it  seemed an easy way to adjust all three color grays individually at the same time. PS: Levels Auto command was very useful to get an initial guess for my de-haze task.

Quoted from the documentation:

On the right-hand side, three color swatches appear: one each for the output white and black points and another for the output grey point.

These colors can be adjusted using the numeric inputs, the slider, or by double-clicking on the color swatch itself.

Edited by Peter1

2 hours ago, Peter1 said:

by double-clicking on the color swatch itself.

All the 'swatches' bar one (middle swatch right side) work fine for me on double clicking:

Levels.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

11 hours ago, Peter1 said:

@Pixey, Maybe it depends on some version?

I have the Classic version 4.3.10 (64 bit) and Levels is built-in to paint.net.  Perhaps it's your computer, or mouse?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

5 hours ago, Pixey said:

Perhaps it's your computer, or mouse?

No, it is a Paint.NET bug. The middle color swatch button on the right side does not respond to a double click in 4.3.10.

I submitted a fix to Rick for the next 4.3.X release.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Interesting. It doesn't look like a bug to me. It shouldn't be double-clickable. Because it's not a full range RGB swatch like others. The documentation also clarifies this in the following lines:

If the output grey point is adjusted to be slightly brighter (move the middle slider up or increase the numeric value), it causes the overall color of the image to be brightened.  Whites and blacks in the image are not affected.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, otuncelli said:

It doesn't look like a bug to me. It shouldn't be double-clickable. Because it's not a full range RGB swatch like others.

Agreed. The input box is tied to an intermediate value which is set somewhere between the top and bottom Output inputs. You can't set it by choosing the color, as it must always be 'between' the other two.

Try this: Drag out a colored gradent across the canvas, then deselect two of the color channel checkboxes. Now try moving the mid-point slider up and down.

levels-mid-point.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/8/2022 at 6:09 AM, Rick Brewster said:

Yeah I'm not convinced this is a bug. Could be possible to improve how this is communicated in the UI, but I think it's working as intended.

double-clicking would allow to set the "gray" point in all three color components RGB individually at once, as can be done with the "white" and the "black" points. I agree that it is difficult, because "gray" has to be restricted into a cube between the "white" and the "black" color points, and I have to go to "define colors" to see the current point and change it.

Whether setting gray in all color components is useful, remains a question, but I did have a use case with my blueish take.

supplemental question: what happens between the "white" and the "gray" output point, and the "gray" and the "black" output point? Is it linear interpolation or a curvy interpolation?

Edited by Peter1