[Suggestion] Default Image Size to Clipboard Data at Startup

Go to solution Solved by treycodes,

Hello,

I wanted to suggest this because I find myself starting Paint.NET wanting to edit an image that's already on my clipboard and the default image (on startup) doesn't match the clipboard's image size. If you have an image on your clipboard and Paint.NET is already running and you create a new image that image will automatically be set to the clipboard image's dimensions (if available, obviously).

It would be nice if the clipboard image being the new image's dimension was applied on the app startup.

It's not a lot of work to paste the image and then Ctrl + Shift + X to automatically resize the canvas to the selected area (which would be the pasted image) or to close the default image document and create a new one. Both options seem unnecessary when the clipboard image's size is already being used for new images after startup.

Current Behavior

1. Launch Paint.NET

2. Create empty 800x600 image

3. image ready to edit

Expected Behavior

1. Launch Paint.NET

2. Create new image with dimensions according to clipboard

• If empty, default to 800x600
  • If non-image data, default to 800x600
  • If clipboard contains image data, set dimensions to the clipboard image

3. image ready to edit

Bonus

• Settings to adjust the default/fallback image resolution
  • Setting to automatically start editing the clipboard image if detected on startup
    • This option would be fantastic since I launched Paint.NET to edit the clipboard image it's always related
    • Could be ignored when passed command args (could be an additional setting)
  • Setting to detect clipboard text at startup for a valid relative or full path to an image to automatically open for editing

Whether the image is created with the dimensions or resized after doesn't matter. Not sure how much work this would be and it's minor but I wanted to suggest it. If it was something that plugins could do I'd just build something to do it myself but the plugin API doesn't seem like it would be an option to control the application's behavior with events or something. If it is doable then I'd be happy to do it and save you the trouble. If you have any questions or need information from me let me know. Happy to help.

Thanks,

Trey

Try Ctrl + Alt + V (Paste into a New Image). The new image will be sized to that of the clipboard image ;)

Current Behavior

1. Launch Paint.NET

2. Ctrl + Alt + V

3. image ready to edit

• Like 1

I don't think it's a good idea to have the default image size match the clipboard. Partly because File->New already does this, and especially because you can use @Ego Eram Reputo's solution (Paste into New Image).

But also because querying the size of what's in the clipboard is actually very expensive, especially if there's a large image on the clipboard. This would significantly hurt startup performance, and would only have benefit if you wanted to work with an image the same size as the clipboard. And in that case, just use Paste into New Image. In other cases, someone who isn't aware that they have an image on the clipboard would probably be confused why the startup image size is "random".

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

• Solution

Okay, so file > new which has the functionality already and the default new image created at startup should have different functionality. Two completely separate ways a new image is created. 800x600 is the perfect image size for everyone. Why doesn't file > new just create 800x600 images?

Actually, I just realized I can copy only 800x600 images to my clipboard and that solves it. Would recommend this to everyone not wanting different new image resolutions between app startup and file > new.

Edited by treycodes