How do I make the portable version associate files

I did this cause I currently use the portable version. You just right click a .pdn file, then click Open or Open with and just browse to the folder where you unpacked the files of the portable Paint.NET version and select the file paintdotnet.exe which is the actual program itself. There should be another one that is paintdotnet.ico but do not select that because its only an icon file. Make sure you check the box that says says use this program to open this kind of file and from then on, you could associate .pdn files to open with the portable Paint.NET. This however will not make image thumbnails for .pdn files like jpegs and pngs that only work if you installed the regular version of Paint.NET..

Edited by Ishi

50 minutes ago, Ishi said:

I did this cause I currently use the portable version. You just right click a .pdn file, then click Open or Open with and just browse to the folder where you unpacked the files of the portable Paint.NET version and select the file paintdotnet.exe which is the actual program itself. There should be another one that is paintdotnet.ico but do not select that because its only an icon file. Make sure you check the box that says says use this program to open this kind of file and from then on, you could associate .pdn files to open with the portable Paint.NET. This however will not make image thumbnails for .pdn files like jpegs and pngs that only work if you installed the regular version of Paint.NET..

yes I know how to do it manually, I was hoping for a more automated deployment like the installer does, someone out there has got to have a registry file for all the necessary file types.

No, the ZIP package of the official portable version as it is now, does not automate that. A Registry entry that automatically associates the file types would not be of much use if different users decide different directories to extract their portable Paint.NET installations other than C:\Program Files since a .REG file targets a specified path. I personally have my installation on the D: drive. Also, users would not want all file types to be associated with Paint.NET and for that lets say, they have to edit the REG file to only associate the file types they want.

If ever, it had to be an installation setup made specifically for the portable version of Paint.NET with a custom installation option with checkboxes that lets you choose all these.

9 minutes ago, Ishi said:

No, the ZIP package of the official portable version as it is now, does not automate that. A Registry entry that automatically associates the file types would not be of much use if different users decide different directories to extract their portable Paint.NET installations other than C:\Program Files since a .REG file targets a specified path. I personally have my installation on the 😧 drive. Also, users would not want all file types to be associated with Paint.NET and for that lets say, they have to edit the REG file to only associate the file types they want.

If ever, it had to be an installation setup made specifically for the portable version of Paint.NET with a custom installation option with checkboxes that lets you choose all these.

yes, I can handle all the manual task for custom directories, in fact I prefer it that way so I can implement it in my deployment scripts

Yeah, I prefer portable installations too and manually configuring them. You also have to collect your desired plugin DLLs on the Effects folder and copy that Effects folder to every single portable installation of Paint.NET you have since if I'm not mistaken, a portable installation does not have the Effects nor the FilesTypes folder by default and even if it has, those would start empty by the way.

8 hours ago, Ishi said:

Or just copy the portable Paint.NET folder that you have now added with the Effects and FileTypes folders into every single machine of the same lets say x64 system via a network share whatever. Will save a lot of time.

got tired of waiting for answer so I did it my self, thumbnail doesnt work for pdn but erything else work. I only added my most used file types, feel free to add yours, and dont forget to edit your target directory 

reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\Applications\paintdotnet.exe\shell\open\command" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "\"C:\ccm\paint.net\paintdotnet.exe\" \"%1\"" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpeg\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.jpg\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.png\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.psd\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.webp\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f
reg add "HKCU\Software\Classes\.pdn\OpenWithList\paintdotnet.exe" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "" /f

Edited by anon51264

32 minutes ago, anon51264 said:

got tired of waiting

I take offense.

This is not a Paint.Net question.

It is a question about modifying the registry of an operating system so an application suits your needs. Way above most forum members expertise.

No disrespect intended. I tried to be politically correct. :)

• Upvote 2

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

I only have the PDN filetype  to open on Paint.NET. Also, the developer himself told me that thumbnails don't work for .PDN files if you only use the portable version. Not a huge issue for me though I have encountered a problem with the 32-bit portable version while opening huge .PDN files with many layers as it would needlessly use a lot of RAM.

1 hour ago, AndrewDavid said:

I take offense.

This is not a Paint.Net question.

It is a question about modifying the registry of an operating system so an application suits your needs. Way above most forum members expertise.

No disrespect intended. I tried to be politically correct. :)

yea, I kinda got that after reading what ppl post on this forum lmao

no worries none taken :D

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Ishi said:

I only have the PDN filetype  to open on Paint.NET. Also, the developer himself told me that thumbnails don't work for .PDN files if you only use the portable version. Not a huge issue for me though I have encountered a problem with the 32-bit portable version while opening huge .PDN files with many layers as it would needlessly use a lot of RAM.

It does not "needlessly" using a lot of RAM. You're opening a large image and it must allocate enough memory to hold it.

Solution: don't use the 32-bit version. It's being retired soon for good reasons.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg