How to Install Plugins ×

QuantDith v1.5 - Color dithering

(Translated by google translate)
i created a new plugin for palette dithering - QuantDith. Dithering - a method of image pseudo-toning using palettes with a small number of colors, that is, with the help of my plugin you can make color gradients like in games from retro consoles. The previous version was for monochrome black and white dithering, but now I've added support for color palettes in Paint Dot Net format (.txt files with a list of colors).

F7Fn-AZh7Co.jpg?size=845x618&quality=95&

>>> VIDEO DEMO <<<

The plugin contains a lot of dithering algorithms taken from the manual DHALF.TXT with a color correction in the same window as the plugin. There are several built-in palettes such as color schemes from the Commodore 64 and 3-bit colors. You can also upload your own palette in the Paint Dot Net txt-palette format.

Description of options:

• Color search mode - influences how dithering algorithms will select colors in the palette;
  • Palette - contains built-in color schemes;
  • Use a palette file - there are ready-made palettes in the archive with the plugin, you can also manually write your own file, where the colors will be in ABGR HEX format;
  • Adaptive palette - allows you to automatically determine the colors contained in the picture and reduce them to the required amount;
  • Brightness/contrast before/after - image colorizer before and after dithering;
  • Dithering algorithm - affects the gradient pattern;
  • Dithering parameter - affects the size of the gradient from the dithering pattern;
  • Algorithm for finding dither errors - affects dithering algorithms such as Atkinson, Floyd, etc.

Installation:
The archive contains the plugin file, it can be installed by running the .bat file or manually dropping the .dll file into the PaintNet\Effects\ folder. Be sure to update Peint Net to the latest version, otherwise it won't work. Once installed, you can find the effect in the menu Effects->Color. The archive also contains the C# source code for CodeLab, you can use my code in your projects.

QuantDith v1.5 EN.zip

To support the author with money:

• Sberbank Visa/MCard: 5469 1300 1242 7256
  • YuMoney: yoomoney.ru/to/410017516566873
  • PayPal: paypal.me/AtariSMN81
  • BTC: 1HW5BhEJ1RnTUNahJEHhHsGcw7zpiGKLWz
  • ETH: 0x0a875463c973e1cc33c9abe9f06e82e9e29ae5ba

Questions about the plugin write in a personal message or to <email removed>

Edited by AtariSMN82
add alpha channel
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

• 2 months later...
  • AtariSMN82 changed the title to QuantDith v1.4 - Color dithering
On 7/6/2022 at 2:49 PM, Reparadox said:

Hey! Love this! Question, can you make it support Alpha Channel/Transparency? Thanks!

I add new option "use alpha channel". Download new version 1.4: https://forums.getpaint.net/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=21705&key=23556695f1dd8eaafcca07909d71840c

Edited by AtariSMN82
add link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

@AtariSMN82 thank you for this plugin. I've been playing around with it, along with another plugin, and have achieved some really cool results.

As @Panchdara posted above, could you please change the name of the file to 'QuantDith'? It's labeled as QuantDith but installs as AdvDith.

So now we have (2) AdvDith's installed. I know to click on the second one listed, but not everyone is going to know this.

If someone is looking under the 'Color' menu for 'QuantDith' they aren't going to find it.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • AtariSMN82 changed the title to QuantDith v1.5 - Color dithering
On 7/31/2022 at 10:30 PM, lynxster4 said:

@AtariSMN82 thank you for this plugin. I've been playing around with it, along with another plugin, and have achieved some really cool results.

As @Panchdara posted above, could you please change the name of the file to 'QuantDith'? It's labeled as QuantDith but installs as AdvDith.

So now we have (2) AdvDith's installed. I know to click on the second one listed, but not everyone is going to know this.

If someone is looking under the 'Color' menu for 'QuantDith' they aren't going to find it.

Thanks!

i corrected the title

But I don't know how to change the "color" menu. I made plugin in CodeLab and this menu is configured there

On 8/14/2022 at 1:26 AM, AtariSMN82 said:

But I don't know how to change the "color" menu. I made plugin in CodeLab and this menu is configured there

In your source code header, find the entry for Submenu. Install a string following the colon to specify a submenu.

// Name:
// Submenu: Vogon Poetry
// Author:
// Title:

• 4 months later...

Crashes when you load palette files from paint.net user palette files, but palette files included with the plugin work. With testing this seems to be from when a palette has a bunch of empty lines at the end, which palettes made from inside paint.net have, but the preincluded ones don't.

I'm using 5.0.

Otherwise this plugin is pretty cool! One feature request is when using a custom palette there should be sliders for which area of the palette to use (like Recolor Using Palette), especially since the extra color indices from palettes made in-program mess up the code for some algorithms like the ordered ones.

Edited by Kokonut
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...
11 minutes ago, MR.JOKEBAMBI said:

I made a Custom palette and now the Use Paint.Net palette file option isn't working

Does your palette file have empty lines at the end of it?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It seems like the plugin can't handle Lasso Selection of areas. It gets stuck at loading (thankfully, paint.net handles cancelling the infinite initialization very well). Using paint.net 5.0.13. Just in case, using the settings below however small the lasso select is, preview also stays "loading up" before clicking "ok" (progress bar in p.n status bar infinitely cycling).

I found this very interesting and perhaps there's a good optimization it could take (to process blocks in parallel at least). As it has sources attached, if I get an opportunity I'll take a look at it.

image.png.3443fddf0ee726a22137a0b61c4cb721.png