Making a Single Color Picture

waetherman
Go to solution Solved by MJW,

• Solution

There are many ways to do that. The simplest I can think of off hand, without any plugins, is:

• Convert the image to Black and White using the built in adjustment
  • Add a layer above the image layer
  • Set the new layer's Blending Mode to Multiply
  • Set the Primary Color to the desired color
  • Select the entire new layer with Select All
  • Use Fill Selection to fill the layer with the Primary Color
  • Merge the new layer with the the image layer.

Before merging the layers, you'll likely want to use the Hue/Saturation adjustment on the color layer (especially to increase the lightness), and the Brightness/Contrast adjustment on the lower layer (to increase the brightness and decrease the contrast).

Other Blending Modes when used with the method above, such as Color Dodge, Overlay, and Screen, can also produce nice monochrome effects. Besides Hue/Saturation, the color layer's effect on the image can be modified by changing the layer's Opacity.

You can also make the color layer the lower layer, and change the Blending Mode of the image layer.

I believe the example image may have a slight blur applied to it, to help soften it and push it into the background.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@KrisVDMhas a number of such adjustments in his plugin pack. Monochrome Ink on Paper might be worth a look.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, MJW said:

There are many ways to do that. The simplest I can think of off hand, without any plugins, is:

• Convert the image to Black and White using the built in adjustment
  • Add a layer above the image layer
  • Set the new layer's Blending Mode to Multiply
  • Set the Primary Color to desired color
  • Select the entire new layer with Select All
  • Use Fill Selection to fill the layer with the Primary Color
  • Merge the new layer with the the image layer.

Before merging the layers, you'll likely want to use the Hue/Saturation adjustment on the color layer (especially to increase the lightness), and the Brightness/Contrast adjustment on the lower layer (to increase the brightness and decrease the contrast).

Other Blending Modes when used with the method above, such as Color Dodge, Overlay, and Screen can also produce nice monochrome effect. Besides Hue/Saturation, the color layer's effect on the image can be modified by changing the layer's Opacity.

You can also make the color layer the lower layer, and change the Blending Mode of the image layer.

I believe the example image may have a slight blur applied to it, to help soften it and push it into the background.

That worked really well. I tried a few different blurring effects and gaussian +5 seemed to be the best to give it just that hint of being more to the background. Thanks for the advice!