Dried Clay Texture

ReMake

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it.

This tutorial is an adaptation of the tutorial How To Make Mud Texture In Photoshop. The final image from the original tutorial is shown below.

1.jpg

Required Plugins:

PSFilterPdn by @null54
Color Balance+ by @dpy
Emboss+ by @ReMake
Wind - Photoshop filter

Note: Read first How to install Plugins and Applying effects from Photoshop's Filters menu in paint.net.

1. Create a New Document (FileNew.png) with a size of 600x450px. In the Color window, set the default colors (Black-And-White.png). Fill (Paint-Bucket.png) the image with black color.

2. Apply the Turbulence (Turbulence-Icon.png) effect (Effects -> Render -> Turbulence) with a Period of 256, leave the rest of the settings as default.

2.jpg

Repeat (Ctrl+F) the effect.

3. Apply the Clouds (Clouds-Effect.png) effect (Effects -> Render -> Clouds) with Difference blend mode, leave the rest of the settings as default.

3.jpg

Repeat (Ctrl+F) the effect.

4. Apply the Color Balance+ effect (Adjustments -> Color Balance+) with these settings: Cyan-Red - -50, Magenta-Green - 35, Yellow-Blue - 60, Tone Balance - Shadows. Uncheck Preserve Luminosity checkbox.

4.jpg

5. Run the PSFilterPdn effect (Effects -> 8bf Filter). Click on the pointer to the left of Stylize and select the Wind filter. Click the Run Filter button.

5.png

In the dialog box that opens, select the From the left direction. Click OK, then click OK in the 8bf Filter window.

6.jpg

6. Repeat step 5 by selecting From the right direction for the Wind effect.

7. Rotate (Rotate90CW.png) the image clockwise (Image -> Rotate 90° Clockwise or Ctrl+H). Repeat (Ctrl+F) the Wind effect (in this case, the Wind effect with the From the right direction will be applied). 

8. Repeat step 5 by selecting From the Left direction for the Wind effect.

7.jpg

Rotate (Rotate90CCW.png) the image counterclockwise (Image -> Rotate 90° Сounter-Сlockwise or Ctrl+G).

9. Apply the Emboss+ effect (Effects -> Stylize -> Emboss+) with these settings: Angle - 135, Height - 1, Amount - 500.

8.jpg

10. Apply the Sepia (Sepia-Effect.png) effect (Adjustments -> Sepia).

9.jpg

Note: All settings described in this tutorial are approximate and depend on image size and the desirable end result.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Hi there @ReMake I have tried the tutorial but, alas, cannot get the Wind to work and get this error:

8bf-filter-error.png

should I report this to @null54 too?

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

37 minutes ago, Pixey said:

I have tried the tutorial but, alas, cannot get the Wind to work and get this error:

The filter requires an Adobe file (Plugin.dll). This file is bundled with many 32-bit Adobe products, but it cannot be redistributed.

• Thanks 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

1 hour ago, null54 said:

The filter requires an Adobe file (Plugin.dll). This file is bundled with many 32-bit Adobe products, but it cannot be redistributed.

Thanks for the clarification, @null54, I'll fix the tutorial.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing this tutorial @ReMake.  Good one!   (P.S. I did the Render-->Clouds 3 times as original tut says.)

driedclaytexture.png

• Upvote 1