Hotkey to toggle grid

superVJ
Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

• Solution
2 hours ago, superVJ said:

Hotkey to toggle grid

In the absence of a specific shortcut key to do what you want, you can press ALT+V to open the View menu, then press g to toggle the Pixel grid on/off.

If you practice this, you can do it almost as fast as using a shortcut key, and much faster than using the mouse.

See the underlined letters here? They are the menu shortcuts.

image.png.00aac0b8042ca57a60f1af3cba9db19c.png

If you want to see underlined letters all the time (not just when you press ALT), then please read this article:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/make-windows-10-highlight-underline-menu-shortcut-keys/

Edited by Tactilis
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Tactilis said:

In the absence of a specific shortcut key to do what you want, you can press ALT+V to open the View menu, then press g to toggle the Pixel grid on/off.

If you practice this, you can do it almost as fast as using a shortcut key, and much faster than using the mouse.

See the underlined letters here? They are the menu shortcuts.

image.png.00aac0b8042ca57a60f1af3cba9db19c.png

If you don't see underlined letters when you press ALT, then please read this article to learn how to turn them on:

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/make-windows-10-highlight-underline-menu-shortcut-keys/

That's really helpful, man! Thanks for the tip :) .

Edited by superVJ
typo

50 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

In this case, clicking the mouse once is faster and more convenient than using short cut key strokes, or clicking the keyboard twice.

As you wish. But that's not my experience.

I'd agree that clicking the mouse is faster - but I said using the mouse...

Moving the mouse from the part of the image where you are working up to the toolbar, clicking the grid icon, and then moving the mouse back to the right place in the image to continue working every time you want to toggle the grid on and off is way slower than using a keyboard sequence, which can be done with one hand while the other hand remains on the mouse.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tactilis said:

In my practice using grids, I basically leave them on after toggling, but to each his own!

Edited by HyReZ

20 minutes ago, HyReZ said:

In my practice using grids, I basically leave them on after toggling, but to each his own!

The way I work I find it much more convenient to use a hotkey. I like to have it on while placing pixels, but to get a good look at what I've done, without the grid in the way, I need to turn it off. And i do that frequently.

Edited by superVJ

My workflow is based upon well defined pixel placement also and having the pixel grid mostly enabled, helps a great deal.
This is especially important for me when dealing with editing the artifacts of anti aliasing.

After all, the pixel grid is noticeable when you are zoomed in and to get a good idea of the of the end result

is to view the graphic as it would normally appear, and that is to zoom out.
So inclusion; I will iterate the clichéd idiom of "to each his own".

Edited by HyReZ

2 hours ago, HyReZ said:

My workflow is based upon well defined pixel placement also and having the pixel grid mostly enabled, helps a great deal.
This is especially important for me when dealing with editing the artifacts of anti aliasing.

After all, the pixel grid is noticeable when you are zoomed in and to get a good idea of the of the end result

is to view the graphic as it would normally appear, and that is to zoom out.
So inclusion; I will iterate the clichéd idiom of "to each his own".

To each their own for sure and I'm not saying how it should be done. But just to give a little more context to my last post, I'm typically doing very low res pixel art so to see the final product I am viewing it zoomed in and thus the grid is visible.