Fatal error during installation. (1603)

This is so very irritating. I was completely happy with the previous version and only updated because prompted, just to get this ridiculous fatal error. I have too much stress to deal with to apply the suggested solution, since I do not understand it and would have to put effort into checking what it is, since obviously I now don't trust just doing what (get)paint.net says.

I wanted to change the colours of a certain image to the Ukrainian ones for obvious reasons, and it's very sad that I now can't.

5 minutes ago, I.C. Turner said:

This is so very irritating.

I'm very sorry that you are having trouble getting the updated version of paint.net.  I don't know why it happens to some folks; a variety of reasons could be the cause.  Simply put please try these steps:

1.  Download the clean up utility and run it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

2. Restart your computer and try to download it again from here.

3.  If that doesn't work, please try the offline installer: 

https://github.com/paintdotnet/release/releases

We understand these are trying times and hope you can find a solution, so that you can change your flag :)

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 2/26/2022 at 3:56 PM, Pixey said:

I'm very sorry that you are having trouble getting the updated version of paint.net.  I don't know why it happens to some folks; a variety of reasons could be the cause.  Simply put please try these steps:

1.  Download the clean up utility and run it:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

2. Restart your computer and try to download it again from here.

3.  If that doesn't work, please try the offline installer: 

https://github.com/paintdotnet/release/releases

We understand these are trying times and hope you can find a solution, so that you can change your flag :)

As I've already explained, I cannot just trust advice from here, since trusting this product is what caused this problem in the first place. I'll have to find some more reliable software to use instead. 

3 hours ago, I.C. Turner said:

As I've already explained, I cannot just trust advice from here, since trusting this product is what caused this problem in the first place. I'll have to find some more reliable software to use instead. 

I'm English, we never lie except when it is in our own interests to do so and even then we feel very bad about it. 😀

So you can trust my advice which I've suggested on other threads like this concerning problems with the latest PDN update. Go to the download links and get the portable version. No installation needed and if it does not work there is most likely a problem with your system. 

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

5 hours ago, I.C. Turner said:

Relax, relate, release!

Don't have cyber meltdown or develop issues of trust over an app!
If you are seeking 100% reliable software, you shouldn't be running the Windows Operating System at all!
(Take it from, I have been running Windows from version 386(2.11)).
Nothing that I am aware of is 100% reliable. Certainly not software.

We assume that all events that occur in short order are cause and effect.
Just becuase event 'B' happened right after event 'A' does not mean event 'B' was caused by event 'A'.
There may be some other unknown factor at work.

Just yesterday I had problems with software and dowloads because there were track/sector problems on my C drive

The people here are trying to help. Stressing out will not get things corrected.

A 'Fatal Error' does not mean that some one actually has to die!

I learn more about a computer by trying to keep it working.

BTW: Check this out!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/application-management/msi-installation-error-1603

Edited by HyReZ
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 12:46 AM, IHaveNoName said:

I'm English, we never lie except when it is in our own interests to do so and even then we feel very bad about it. 😀

So you can trust my advice which I've suggested on other threads like this concerning problems with the latest PDN update. Go to the download links and get the portable version. No installation needed and if it does not work there is most likely a problem with your system. 

Sadly you must not have noticed who the prime minister is. Lying is his favourite hobby and he certainly never feels in the slightest bit bad about it.

But thanks. 🙂 Even if there is a problem with my system (which I doubt but of course could be the case), though, the frustration is that the previous version worked fine on said system and met my needs. I only updated out of being co-operative, not because I felt it was lacking any feature or functionality or anything.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:04 AM, HyReZ said:

Relax, relate, release!

Don't have cyber meltdown or develop issues of trust over an app!
If you are seeking 100% reliable software, you shouldn't be running the Windows Operating System at all!
(Take it from, I have been running Windows from version 386(2.11)).
Nothing that I am aware of is 100% reliable. Certainly not software.

We assume that all events that occur in short order are cause and effect.
Just becuase event 'B' happened right after event 'A' does not mean event 'B' was caused by event 'A'.
There may be some other unknown factor at work.

Just yesterday I had problems with software and dowloads because there were track/sector problems on my C drive

The people here are trying to help. Stressing out will not get things corrected.

A 'Fatal Error' does not mean that some one actually has to die!

I learn more about a computer by trying to keep it working.

BTW: Check this out!

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/application-management/msi-installation-error-1603

Don't use all bold please. It's ridiculous.

33 minutes ago, I.C. Turner said:

Sadly you must not have noticed who the prime minister is. Lying is his favourite hobby and he certainly never feels in the slightest bit bad about it.

But thanks. 🙂 Even if there is a problem with my system (which I doubt but of course could be the case), though, the frustration is that the previous version worked fine on said system and met my needs. I only updated out of being co-operative, not because I felt it was lacking any feature or functionality or anything.

Boris Johnson was actually born and bought up in the US.

On the subject in question: have you actually tried using the portable version I linked in the previous post?

There can be many things that might have affected your attempt to update. Your anti-virus software could be be involved, that is what caused a problem for me on one PC when I tried to update PDN just as you did.

I understand you being annoyed that the update failed however it is not the end of the world. The hassle you've had is unfortunate but nobody is lying to you and it is certainly not the fault of the posters here who are all trying to help you sort out the problem.

Do what I suggested: please try the portable version of the most recent PDN version and post back here the result. 

IHaveNoName.png