displays "Selection top left", but actually it is "Selection left top".

Peter1

(1) it shows "Selection top left", but actually it is "Selection left top". See the  attached screen shot, clearly at the left lower edge.

(2) and the "bounding rectangle size" is "bounding rectangle W H" or similar, same order as the selection topleft coordinates.

I suggest to write "W H" instead of "size",  because size is ambiguous.

Version 4.3.7 portable.

376303155_SelectionTopLeftScreenshot20220204022743.png.bd8a3478674487de06d0e64e3ec9ce06.png

Logically, you do have a point, but linguistically, it's dubious. For whatever odd reason, top then left is the standard order of the adjectives in English. Just as one would say a large red apple, not a red large apple.

• Like 3

Then in german it should read, by language, "links oben" or even more similar to a sentence, "linke obere Ecke", and this would happen to match the sequence of numbers. "oben links" see screenshot, sounds strange in german. 

I believe "top left" without saying "Point" or "corner" is computer-jargon in english.

I believe  therefore it would be better to label every number by what it is, in any language. I was simply hit that when I move something with the cursor keys up/down, the second number changed.

Screenshot 20220205040807.png

Edited by Peter1

2 hours ago, Peter1 said:

I was simply hit that when I move something with the cursor keys up/down, the second number changed.

I suppose that might seem a bit odd; on the other hand, if we can get used to the second number decreasing as the thing moves upward, we ought to be able to get used to that.

On 2/5/2022 at 6:36 AM, MJW said:

I suppose that might seem a bit odd; on the other hand, if we can get used to the second number decreasing as the thing moves upward, we ought to be able to get used to that.

In my language (German) "oben links" is not even in the XY plane, but "oben" is Z, and "links" is a turn to the left, whereas "links oben" is in the XY plane.

Can we look at these helpful figures at the bottom without "getting used to it"? Just labelling in order, and labelling the W and H with such, instead size. There are so many coordinate system conventions that it would be helpful (and easy) to do.

But wait - can I translate it to my own language?? I just would change these two strings from standard english to Peter1's english.

4 hours ago, Peter1 said:

But wait - can I translate it to my own language?? I just would change these two strings from standard english to Peter1's english.

There is a sub-forum devoted to translation and localization. That's where your German translation suggestions and questions should be posted.  Your requests may make perfect sense for German; but as I mentioned before, they don't really make sense for English, because they are not idiomatic.

11 hours ago, MJW said:

There is a sub-forum devoted to translation and localization. That's where your German translation suggestions and questions should be posted.  Your requests may make perfect sense for German; but as I mentioned before, they don't really make sense for English, because they are not idiomatic.

Thanks for the pointer, I visited it after doing the work for this post. The language code affixed below, AI, is by following the pointer.

I use Paint.Net mostly in english, like the forum and the documentation are in English.

Just for curiosity, and UX, in german and in english (using a devop existing decades before Visual Studio), and grateful that it was easy. I attach therefore "en-AI" version, for English (Anguilla) on the island of Anguilla:

1725507099_englischScreenshot20220207034127.png.722042906c321c6bda9d7bc993eeec4b.png

And German (Anguilla) (not attached):

314867480_deutschScreenshot20220207034509.png.b6d6b73db50ee3b48b7cdee8dc307646.png

And there is a new admittedly very minor position, how come it says Quadrat-pixel with a lower-case pixel.There is not a single lower-case pixel in the German string file. The measurement unit Pixel at the equivalent places in english is also all capitalized. 🙂

s.3.en-AI.resources.zip

Edited by Peter1
edited: attach "en-AI", English (Anguilla)