Outline effect creates slightly opaque background

mattscy

When the outline tool is used on a layer with a fully transparent area, the transparent parts of that layer will go from having 0 opacity to 1 opacity (which you can check with the colour picker and the colour menu).

Hello @mattscy and welcome to the forum :)

You don't say which Outline Plugin your are using?

I used @BoltBait's Outline and, although the color shows in the color wheel, the opacity is still zero.

outline-opacity.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Outline Object works identically regardless of whether it is Boltbait or Pyrochild plugin.
Behind the object we will have a clone of it with the color chosen for the outline.
Both plugins are excellent if the object we want to outline has a color whose opacity has the maximum value = 255.
If the opacity is different from this value it is advisable to use the Outline Selection plugin after we have previously selected the object.
However, the author of the post refers to something else that we could not reproduce.

If you're talking about Effects -> Stylize -> Outline, it's only really meant to be used with opaque images. If you're working with a transparent background, a plugin will be more useful.

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg