How to add engraved text to a metal plate

Go to solution Solved by Red ochre,

I have this image here:
image.png.e141f1d89e16e4114b31a87b315e984f.png

And now I would like to add text on the metal plates. I'm thinking that an engraved appearance is the way to go, not sure if anything else would really look good here.
I've tried boltbait's bevel and inner shadows effects, and i've tried the standard emboss/engrave tools, but none of them really give me an engraved look (the bevel only makes the text look like bubble letters).
Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your time!

Hi @Mervil :)

There is a great tutorial on this, but I think the result in the tutorial may be only when you 'slant' the text.  But, it may give you some ideas.  The trick to making something look engraved, is light and shadow.  Good luck.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

5 hours ago, Red ochre said:

User @dipstick's technique may help. (In the Object bevel thread).

Thanks Red ochre! I saw dipstick's images and read how he was able to accomplish them, but all I am getting is this:
image.png.ca019b0caac6f1cc63c3f27fad85686a.png

And i'm not exactly sure what he meant when he said, "It has to do with the black background and transparent text and shape."

Could you please provide some further guidance? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Pixey said:

Hi @Mervil :)

There is a great tutorial on this, but I think the result in the tutorial may be only when you 'slant' the text.  But, it may give you some ideas.  The trick to making something look engraved, is light and shadow.  Good luck.

Yeah! I did find that one on my forums perusal, and I love the result! But, yeah, I don't want to have to tilt my image. Thank you though, Pixey! 

• Like 1

• Solution

I think what @dipstick is doing is selecting an area around the text and copy/pasting this into a new layer.
This is then an 'object' (opaque pixels on a transparent layer) that my object bevel effect can be applied to.
So in other words it is the background that appears bevelled and the text remains flat.
The same principle should work using Boltbait's or other bevel effects. Note lighting direction is important too.
We tend generally to interpret convex objects as being light at the top left hand side and assume them to be convex or incised if the top L.H.S. is dark.

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg