Modifying Existing PDN for a Memorial

Regulars here know how much Barn Hunt, and my longhaired Dachshund, Harper, mean to me. On New Year's Eve, I lost my Heart and my Soul to an evil disease called Hemangiosarcoma, a blood cancer. We had no clue he was ill. 

We went out to a Barn Hunt in the morning. He had a good run. We had lunch together, and took a long walk around the Farm. We went in to do his second run, and while we were waiting, I realized something was wrong. I pulled him from his run, and called his vet. She had some suggestions, but by the time we reached our RV, Harper could not stand. I put him back in the car and took him to an emergency vet. Due to Covid, we weren’t allowed to be with him. I handed my poor, frightened, little Boy over to strangers, who took him away – and then called me three hours later to tell me he was dead. My Harper died alone, in a strange place, surrounded by strangers, without so much as a last touch to his sweet head to tell him that if he needed to go, it was okay.

So now I need to do the only thing I can for him -- a memorial picture. 

Harper was the first Standard Dachshund in the US and Canada to achieve the RATCHX, RATCHX2, RATCHX3, and RATCHX4.

I'm trying to figure out the most effective way of adding "In Memory of" along with his birth date and death date. If I could figure out how to add the fact that he was first in so many titles, it would be good. This will be going on a largish (8" x 10") magnet for my car, and on t-shirts for Harry and me. 

There will be a successor. But not just yet. Harper's great-great-nephew may well come to us. But that is a different story.

Here's the last title piece I did for him:RATCHX4-small.jpg.4e33dfc79ab1d60a221322ee7137d035.jpg

• Hugs 2

Losing a beloved pet is awful @Marilynx.  We feel your pain.  May he rest in Peace.  🤗 

• Like 1

Oh @Marilynx how sad to hear this.  Losing a pet is just the worst thing and I too feel your pain.  However, it sounds like he was a very happy boy whilst he was with you on earth.  Yes, do get another pet, whilst they can never replace the lost one, they do need to be loved.  Not being with him, must have been awful.  This damn Covid has affected our lives in so many ways.  Thinking about you 🐶.

• Like 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Thanks all, for the kind words. Harper was special, a one-of-a-kind. He and I shared a birthday, and I always knew that when his time came, it would tear me apart. I just didn't think it would be so soon. Or to such a foul disease.

There were 14 other standard Dachshunds who got the Novice title ahead of him -- Barn Hunt didn't come to our area as soon as it did other places.  He was the fourth to get the Open title. Harper was the third to get his Senior title. And the second to get the Master title.  Harper was the second to become a Barn Hunt Champion.  He was the first Standard Dachshund in the US and Canada to get the Barn Hunt Champion Excellent (RATCHX) as well as the RATCHX2, RATCHX3, and RATCHX4.

My husband wants a memorial t-shirt, and I want a car magnet -- I have a magnet for each of his titles.

Magnet will be 8.7" x 11.5" -- not sure what resolution they use; I've always uploaded a 300 dpi picture.

There will be a banner to be displayed at the Hunts where he participated. Banner is likely to be printed at 150 dpi, so  4500 x 7200 (2.5' x 4')

I'm playing with designs, but there's too much text . 

I took his RATCHX4 design and gave a black background. I used Boltbait's Object Outline to make the 4 ratties stand out a little against the black, ditto Badger Rat.

But I'm struggling to make this beautiful and informative, mostly because I start crying when I look at his sweet face. 

InMemory.JPG

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

15 hours ago, Marilynx said:

But I'm struggling to make this beautiful and informative, mostly because I start crying when I look at his sweet face. 

I think what you've done with the image is very appealing :)

To be honest, after all the pets I've lost in the last 40 years, I still hurt when I see the photographs of my lost furry friends 😢

• Hugs 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Losing a pet hurt. I never considered myself a cat person until I had to bury my cat last summer. It hit me when I had to lay her in the ground and I was apologizing to her profusely as I never saw her when I got in my truck and drove. My wife and I adopted another cat so that the original cat of the 2 wouldn’t be lonely. It was his sister that I had to bury.

Talking about this is making my eyes water so I know how it feels now.

Great tribute.

• Hugs 1

On 1/25/2022 at 12:39 PM, Pixey said:

I think what you've done with the image is very appealing :)

To be honest, after all the pets I've lost in the last 40 years, I still hurt when I see the photographs of my lost furry friends 😢

Yeah, I need to do a layer with graph lines under the lettering so I can get it arranged neatly and evenly.

This is the first time in 52 years that I've been without a Dachshund.

I'm just trying to figure out how to fit in "First Standard Dachshund in the US & Canada to Achieve the RATCHX, RATCHX2, RATCHX3 and RATCHX4."  Lotta lettering, not enough space if the lettering is to be big enough to be seen. 

Here's what I've come up with at this point.

InMemory2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Hooray 1