Brushed Metal (again) but with color and sheen

So I do realize there are multiple tutorials on brushed metal, and indeed, I have got the brushed metal effect that I want.

However, if I use a color (instead of gray) to make the brushed metal appearance, it doesn't look as good.

(Method I have used is to add noise (using Intensity: 50 and Coverage: 50%), and then adding a motion blur (distance between 25-40).

image.png.28afa4656d861fda77a379df5c7647d3.png

That's what it turns out looking like. it's not quite colored brushed metal (to my eyes). Part of this might be lack of any reflections.

How can I go about adding sheen to this?

Here is an example of SORT OF what I'm after:
image.png.a1c77bc59aa971c60737146875cc962c.png

or this:

image.png.b1c1405cc64238b9da70366217c399b1.png

Thank you PDN Wizards!!

uFX1qn.png

I know this example lost the original lightness of the color but I hope some of this may help you play with the image to get your result:
- To Add shine , you can add a layer above and with white randomly scribble in that area. Then Apply Gaussian Blur to it to blur it to your liking.
- Do the same with black to add the darker area wherever you want it.
- You can play with the following plugins to get your desired look for metal: Color/Metalize, Text Formations/Creative Text Pro (be sure to click on the top box "Apply to Object Instead of text"), Adjustments/Gradient Mapping (for this plugin you may have to download and add some Presets to get the color you want - just search for Gradient Mapping in the forum and you will see several posts relating to Presets you can add)
- If you use the Creative Text Pro plugin, I normally duplicate the layer and apply the effect to that and then play with the blend modes of the layer before I merge it to the lower layer.
- Also play around with Brightness/Contrast in the Adjustments menu to make it lighter or to have the brushed lines stand out more.
- And lastly, I did turn your image so the metal brushed lines were horizontal and not vertical.

Have fun!

• You're a Smart Cookie! 1

Click HERE to see my Pictorium of images I have worked on.

lMbNWe.png

You were once wild here. Don't let them tame you.

~ Isadora Duncan

I'm going to "brush" aside my "metal" reservations and give this a try----soon 👍

Scooter

Age is only  a number --in my case a Really BIG number, but there you have it

When the prefect paint.net image is created, I will still be wondering "How they Do that?"- sigh☺️

5 hours ago, Ladybug said:

Adjustments/Gradient Mapping (for this plugin you may have to download and add some Presets to get the color you want - just search for Gradient Mapping in the forum and you will see several posts relating to Presets you can add)

Thanks everyone!

Now, what's this about gradient mapping? I'm brand new to plugins on PDN, and that specific plugin does seem a bit tricky to use (even after I read tutorials on it), but what benefit would the presets give me? Is it that hard to create my own?

What exactly is the difference between the gradient mapping plugin vs boltbaits and Illnabs gradient plugin vs romein's multi-color gradient?

Edit:
So this is what I came out with. I think it's close enough.

image.png.a7142f1a8161edba54bf7ff70a82e6df.png

What do you guys think? Any other thoughts, recs? Thanks again!

Edited by Mervil
  • Like 1