Universal Battle Maps/dd2vtt files

Hi folks.  I am trying to figure out how I might make game maps in paint.net and then convert them into a dd2vtt file.  It's really hard to find any info on the dd2vtt file format searching around the web.  

When I open a dd2vtt file with Notepad++ it looks like there are some file properties/metadata that would be easy to recreate, but the image shows up as a massive text string.  Any pointers in the right direction appreciated, as I did not see any pant.net plugins regarding this file format.

Okay, here is a workaround I found if anyone is looking to do this in the future...

I do have a tool, DungeonDraft, that allows me to export a Universal Battle Map/dd2vtt file.

Step 1:  Export universal battlemap example: ExampleMap.dd2vtt

Step 2: Download this tool from Github: https://github.com/beamer159/uvtt-insect/releases/tag/v0.1.0 (you only need the .exe file)

Step 3: Place the uvtt-insect.exe file in the same folder as your exported battlemap

Step 4: In FileExplorer, look for the File tab at the top right; click on it; select Windows Powershell and run it as administrator

Step 5: place the following command into the Powershell window:  

.\uvtt-insect extract -i ExampleMap.dd2vtt

Result: a new PNG file named ExampleMap.png will show up in the folder.

Step 6: Open the PNG with paint.net and edit to your heart's content.

Step 7: Save the file , does NOT need to be PNG, can be WEBP (recommended), not sure what other file types will work (same folder location)

Step 8: place the following command into the Powershell window:

.\uvtt-insect insert -i ExampleMap.dd2vtt -m ExampleMap.webp

Result: the dd2vtt file contains the updated image.

1 hour ago, the-real-orson said:

When I open a dd2vtt file with Notepad++ it looks like there are some file properties/metadata that would be easy to recreate, but the image shows up as a massive text string.

I found a post on Reddit that provides a basic description of the dd2vtt file format, it is JSON-based with the map image encoded as a base64 string and some other world metadata.

Looking at the uvtt-insect source code it appears that it is just replacing an existing map image with a new one.

Do you have any example files for this format?

• Like 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

12 hours ago, the-real-orson said:

how I might make game maps in paint.net

What sort of maps are you wanting?

21 hours ago, null54 said:

I found a post on Reddit that provides a basic description of the dd2vtt file format, it is JSON-based with the map image encoded as a base64 string and some other world metadata.

Looking at the uvtt-insect source code it appears that it is just replacing an existing map image with a new one.

Do you have any example files for this format?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hw7OtTasHDi2-u2XVedC6ka50A7UfPOV/view?usp=sharing

10 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

What sort of maps are you wanting?

Maps for RPG/DnD 5e that I then import into Foundry VTT.  I just started with Foundry and trying to get all my old content into the online tabletop.

In many cases that means making a new digital map from scratch based on an old paper sketch.

Edited by the-real-orson

6 hours ago, the-real-orson said:

Maps for RPG/DnD 5e that I then import into Foundry VTT

I'm a RPG-er too. I'd like to see some maps if you're inclined to show them :)

That's very decent. There is enough to interest without being overly busy. I like the rock textures!